Good Commercial Printing Service

ash13brook

Established
Local time
5:32 AM
Im not sure this belongs here.
I'm not going to get involved in printing. I have no interest in it.
That said, who are some printing services that do a good job digital printing of scanned negs? I don't really need super quality. I think at that point I would send the negatives off and have it analog printed. That said, I don't want black and white prints that are blue or brown tinted, either.
Anyone have a couple of favorites here in the USA?

Thanks

I've had very good experience printing scanned negatives using adoramapix. I've been using them for the past 7 years. Color is very good and consistent. Make sure you check the box that tells them NOT to do any color correction, and use their supplied color profiles when you prepare the images. B&W comes out quite nice and color neutral.

- N.

I Don't Print At Home Too

I Don't Print At Home Too

I rarely scan film now and I use a Plustek OptiFilm 7600i with VueScan when I need a high quality scan.

I would give Scancafe a try. Scancafe does not offer printing services. So their scanning service would have to be substantially better than a source that offered both scanning and printing.

I used a RFF sponsor, Precision Camera and Video in Austin TX to develop and scan my last two rolls of film – Tri-X and Superia X-TRA 400. I was pleased with their work. I have not used them for printing. My brother-in-law is a long time Austin resident and vouched for Precision Camera and Video's excellent reputation.

I have always been pleased with MPIX for printing.

For the highest quality print work I used a small professional lab in St. Louis MO that serves mostly business customers. Since I left the St. Louis area, I'm looking for a replacement.

Ask Dan Tamarkin at:

Tamarkin Camera
300 West Superior Street, Suite 202
Chicago, Illinois 60654

tamarkin.com

(312) 642-2255

So their scanning service would have to be substantially better than a source that of

So their scanning service would have to be substantially better than a source that of

[QUOTE=So their scanning service would have to be substantially better than a source that offered both scanning and printing.

I'm not necessarily challenging your statement, just wondering what your logic is for making it.

Thanks

I just assumed people would prefer a one-step solution over a two-step solution.

The choice could be getting a good scan at a fair price and good print from one vendor versus getting an excellent scan at a fair price from one vendor and then in a second transaction getting a good print from a second vendor.

Sorry, I guess my statement wasn't clear.
By what logic can you state that a lab which offers only scanning services would produce a "better" scan that one which offers both scanning and printing services?

Because they specialize.

I suppose that could be so. But in my mind if I also farm out the printing I would feel more comfortable with a a company which offers both services as they would know from experience how to produce a scan with their own scanners that is going to get the very best out of their own printers. Their existence would depend on it.
Just my 2 cents.
Thanks for you thoughts.

Back