Hasselblad / Kiev 6x6 Prisms on TLRs

das

Well-known
Local time
2:47 AM
The idea of using cheap, available 45 degree (or 90 degree) Hasseblad or Kiev prisms on TLRs has been around for a long time. Baier Photo used to make an adapter (or still does?) for later Rolleiflexes that already had the native capability of interchangeable hoods. Other hobbyists have rigged up homemade 3-D printed adapters (with tape to secure them, not ideal) to work on cameras like Yashica 124s. I really, really would like to do this, as these external finders make using TLRs way easier for me. Is anyone out there making adapters for non-late-model Rolleis? Or could do so? I would be really interested. Here is a Kiev non-metered prism sitting on top of my TLR.

Attachments

• photo114633.jpg
    photo114633.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 0
According to Baier Foto's website, they have ceased trading and have no more stock of these adapters, as of December 2020. Sad news, really.

I have one of those Baier adapters because I use both Hasselblad and Rolleiflex. With the PM45 mounted the 3.5f was too too heavy and clumsy to carry around so I never used it. It’s in a box somewhere. The WL is good enough and more convenient for street photography. I can see the benefits of using a metered prism or in a studio though.

Yeah, obviously a good adapter could use any Hassy or Kiev metered prism. The Baier obviously won't work for me as i don't have one of the later Rolleis that its adapter was made for. Also, all of these prisms fix the reversed image thing. I don't think a prism adds too much bulk for how useful they can be.

Back