Hasselblad V system Digital Backs - what are the best choices overall ?

CameraQuest

Head Bartender
Staff member
Local time
11:25 PM
Hasselblad V system Digital Backs - what are the best choices overall ?

There seems to be a lot of possible choices, many of them of outdated design and questionable reliability.

Balancing the many factors including Image Quality, Cost, Reliability, Ease of shooting -

What are your own Hassy V system digital back choices, and why ?

I think the 907x / CFV II 50c is a good choice -- 50mp 33x44 sensor (I think a full 58x58 is a ways off but admittedly that would be nice), very reliable (at least I haven't had any issues with mine), plus with the 907x 'body' you can use the nice XCD lenses as well as others with a host of adapters. Plus if you have a 'technical' camera like a Linhof or Cambo Actus, you can adapt it for use on those cameras or pretty much any camera that accepts a V-plate. The touch screen is great and overall the back is really quite easy and basic to use.

Two things though -- it's probably a good idea to get your film Hasselblad camera 'calibrated' to ensure that the focus is dead-on. Second, the only issue that I have had (and is a known 'issue' with the early ones) is the tendency for the black rubber coating to wear off the rear buttons prematurely. Hasselblad did offer free replacement of the buttons with an updated version of them, but I don't know if they still offer that service. It's come off the edges of the power/playback button on mine, but I haven't gotten around to sending the back to Hasselblad for the service.

Actually a third thing -- for proper 'cropping' in the viewfinder, the simplest and cheapest way is to use some thin black paper and cut a mask that can just sit on top of the ground glass. Second method (helpful if you're using a metered prism) is to mark the crop with a thin black Sharpie right on the ground glass.

I don't know much about the first CFV 50c back, but I think it's the same sensor as the current one.

Idle curiosity, since I couldn't afford one even if I really wanted one: Are the CFV II backs available on their own, or does one have to buy the whole 907x package? Every once in a while, I get a twinge of digital lust (easily suppressed), and the idea of shooting my 500C/M with a factory-authorized hacked back is fascinating.
I have the Hassy masks for a 16S back. I'll bet that with a little filing, you could make a good mask for the digital back. Vince's suggestion for using a Sharpie would work, of course, but the thought of taking a Sharpie to a $300.00 (at least) Acute Matte screen gives me the willies! But it would have the advantages of shooting with a rangefinder, and being able to see outside the frame lines.
See? I'm trying to convince myself that the digital back would be cool. Digital GAS is the worst...

Idle curiosity, since I couldn't afford one even if I really wanted one: Are the CFV II backs available on their own, or does one have to buy the whole 907x package? Every once in a while, I get a twinge of digital lust (easily suppressed), and the idea of shooting my 500C/M with a factory-authorized hacked back is fascinating.
I have the Hassy masks for a 16S back. I'll bet that with a little filing, you could make a good mask for the digital back. Vince's suggestion for using a Sharpie would work, of course, but the thought of taking a Sharpie to a $300.00 (at least) Acute Matte screen gives me the willies! But it would have the advantages of shooting with a rangefinder, and being able to see outside the frame lines.
See? I'm trying to convince myself that the digital back would be cool. Digital GAS is the worst...

I've asked that question a couple of months ago. Response was ....(nice try), must buy the back and the body. AFAIK that's the "way it is".

I tried in a Phase One IQ250 in a shop. Very heavy, quite bulky and the format was much less square than the 33 x 44 of the CFV 50II C. I passed on the weight especially and the loss of the square format and the desire to continue with film.

Back