How far can I update OSX and still run LR6.7 without problems?

Is that really such a unreasonable demand? By all means let them make that program complex and whatever but allow me to use it in the way I like.

No, its not, but the flashy stuff, and this means AI in these days, sells better...

I also tried some alternatives before leaving LR and I have to say, that none of the commercial ones were a good alternative. Especially Luminar was a PITA and their support was a joke. I ended up with Capture One, which I really like and now very much prefer over Lightroom. But C1 is „only“ the library and develop-tab of LR. Much better than LRs equivalent, IMHO, but if you need the other functions also (web galleries, map,...) you have to buy 3rd party SW. Whats missing for me, I was able to write myself, as I‘m a professional programmer, so C1 is enough for me.

With your needs, have you ever looked into the free alternatives like rawtherapee? I think, this might be something for you, if you want it simple. There are also countless video tutorials for starters on youtube for it and switching from LR is not that hard.

I think, the virtual machine solution or dual booting are not really alternatives, as they are all an extra step in your workflow and may hinder you to do things in parallel (e.g. developing pictures and surfing the web on the same OS for security reasons). I have VMs on my computer, but I really much prefer the native OS every time.

Long post, sorry...

Cornerfix is probably another application that won't work beyond Mojave?
It's perfect for the Super Angulon 3.4

I'm trawling through my files, cleaning and preparing for the future - should have done that a long time ago. I found 70GB of traceable files. Nice.

But LR6.7 works fine with Mojave?

I have also tried various options, from ON1 to Luminar and Marketable, in the hope of finding an alternative (and I'm happy to pay for a stand-alone). What has turned me off these is that they are very 'flashy' c/w LR. All I want is a clean and not not AI version of my darkroom. A lightroom where I can import DNGs that I have moderately renamed, where I can adjust the file and then print with confidence, and of course manage my files.

Is that really such a unreasonable demand? By all means let them make that program complex and whatever but allow me to use it in the way I like.

None of that seems possible so for now I have to protect my LR6.7/MAC combo. It works and is brilliant.

I have no idea what "LR6.7" is. According to the information on the Adobe website, Lightroom version 6.14 is the very last perpetual license revision of Lightroom. I have never subscribed to any of the CC or mobile services, have never used any of the subscription revisions.

Adobe started messing around with the revisioning numbers when they came out with the Creative Cloud and subscription business. Part of my distrust of the subscription stuff is that I can no longer tell for sure what's what with all the alphabet soup they've made of the versioning. I'd rather find other tools that I can know simply what I have, what works and what doesn't.

I don't use much in way of complex and flashy features. I keep my image processing very very simple. :)

G

It’ll be available to the general public after Catalina is released, however if a particular Mac has already been updated to Catalina then it’s more of a challenge to download the prior OS.

The usual method of going to the App Store to download a previous purchase will no longer work, from that particular Mac anyway.

So there are at least two good reasons to download the Mojave installer prior to Catalina being installed an your Mac:

• if one intends to use a Mojave virtual machine under Catalina
• just in case one decides to downgrade back to Mojave

Catalina is a hard-cutoff for 32 bit apps, so it’s also a good idea to make a list of all apps that are 32 bit on your system so there are no post-Catalina installation surprises. :)

I always keep a copy of the installer for the current and last operating system available; no point to going back farther than that. I also keep an external drive with a clone of my boot drive setup up to date and ready in case of a catastrophe. :)

The more I read this thread the closer I come to ditching the digital and getting a Leica M3 or Nikon F6.

OK, I am exaggerating...a little.

LOL!

What's amusing to me is that as time goes on I've been shooting more and more instant film, and using my digital camera as a copy machine to render them to digital images for printing and sharing. I feel best when what comes out of the instant film camera (or the digital camera for that matter) is just about "done" by processing the raw file on the raw converter defaults.

(I just finished a little project—"Friends I Have Lunch And Coffee With"—with the MiNT InstaKon RF70. Just ten photos, every one of them perfect out of the camera (except for the one I made a mistake with!) and finished. Now that's what I like!)

My iPhone 8 Plus cameras have also been pushed to do more and more of my photography. And they do it darn well!

When I shoot film nowadays, I typically want to go to medium format rather than deal with 35mm. Still have my M4-2, R6.2, Leicaflex SL, Robot II, Rollei 35, et al though. :D

So many options, so little time... Hard to complain about it.

G

I think, the virtual machine solution or dual booting are not really alternatives, as they are all an extra step in your workflow and may hinder you to do things in parallel (e.g. developing pictures and surfing the web on the same OS for security reasons). I have VMs on my computer, but I really much prefer the native OS every time.

I agree. I'd rather find other processing tools that work correctly on macOS Catalina and adapt my workflow to them.

RAW Power combined with Photos for image management is looking pretty good for me. As is On1. When the new Hassy arrives, I'll have their image processing software as well. The way my image processing is structured, I've made converting over from LR to other tools pretty easy. I engineered this ability to change tools into my system policies and workflows over a decade ago.

G

Catalina is now released.

I agree. I'd rather find other processing tools that work correctly on macOS Catalina and adapt my workflow to them.

I've been using Capture One for the majority of image processing for quite some time, which is fully 64 bit, so no problems with Catalina.

There is a lot to be said about familiarity, however. There are tasks in Aperture that I've been doing for years, that can be accomplished very quickly. There are also some functions that simply don't exist in Capture One (or other apps) that can be done in Aperture. One of these functions was used on a photo that ended up being selected for publication in a national magazine, so I definitely want to keep using Aperture and a virtual machine is the only way to do so while still getting the benefits of Catalina.

Same with Photoshop CS3, there are no functions in later versions that I need or want, and upgrading to a later version or the CC version is simply throwing money away.

Lightroom 6.14 runs on macOS 10.15 Catalina

Lightroom 6.14 runs on macOS 10.15 Catalina

Now that macOS Catalina arrived, I installed it on my MacBook Pro to try it out before installing it on my main Mac.

I was happy to loose LR, since I switched to C1 some time ago and don't really feel bad about not using LR anymore. But just out of curiosity, I clicked on LR, that is still on my MacBook Pro, and see, what happened: "it's... it's... IT'S ALIVE!!!"

How did that happen? My previous interpretation of internet wisdom was, that its gone as soon as I update to Catalina. But with that miracle I just saw, I digged a little bit deeper, and here is what I found:

According to several blogs and Adobe forum entries, LR 6.14 (latest standalone desktop version without the new pay-forever-license-modell) is completely 64bit and thus should run. Although I found no post anywhere, where someone actually tried it with the released version of Catalina, yet. But one post with successfull test of the golden master, which is more or less the same.

Adobe, of course, discourages use of that version with newer macOS-versions, because there is no money to be made from it... errm, strike that - because they can not guarantee best user performance and problems and performance issues may occur.

Yeah, well, it seems to work anyway. I haven't tested each functionality, of course, but a short test seems to have no problems with LR 6.14 on macOS Catalina.

So, where's the catch? - The catch is, that you have to have LR 6.14 installed prior to installing Catalina, because the installer of LR is a 32bit-App, and that one will not be updated by Adobe anymore... So, if you have LR, it will run fine until you have to reinstall it for some reason.

Sorry, long post. I hope, it's of interest for some here.

Yes exactly, only few installer/license programs were 32bit and stop working in Catalina. LR itself runs fine if it was installed in previous version of macOS.

Part of my distrust of the subscription stuff is that I can no longer tell for sure what's what with all the alphabet soup they've made of the versioning. I'd rather find other tools that I can know simply what I have, what works and what doesn't.

It's is much simpler than you're making it: just subscribe, stay up-to-date, ignore the version number, and use the software as it works very well.

The news today confirms my distaste for subscription models: 'CARACAS (Reuters) - Venezuelans desperately ... to continue using Adobe programs after the software developer ...... cut access to its products for the country’s users, citing U.S. sanctions.'

I like to own what I pay for.

those who buy new Mac in future, chances of using their old Lightroom in it, options are pretty scarce :( change vendor or go paying Adobe-tax.

So, where's the catch? - The catch is, that you have to have LR 6.14 installed prior to installing Catalina, because the installer of LR is a 32bit-App, and that one will not be updated by Adobe anymore... So, if you have LR, it will run fine until you have to reinstall it for some reason.

Sorry, long post. I hope, it's of interest for some here.

I wonder how difficult it would be to hack the installer to work on the new OS. I bet there are quite a few people that want to continue using (and installing) the last stand-alone LR.

Also, Adobe also needs to do right by it's long-time customers and update the installer to x64. (Long shot... right).

I wonder how difficult it would be to hack the installer to work on the new OS. I bet there are quite a few people that want to continue using (and installing) the last stand-alone LR.

Should be able to do this (i.e., use a 32 bit installer) with a virtual machine, and a shared directory with the host OS.

Also, Adobe also needs to do right by it's long-time customers and update the installer to x64. (Long shot... right).

Why would Adobe care about users, that obviously don‘t want to pay for new versions of an already for some years outdated software?

I‘m sure, they are very interested to make sure, that there is no way to install that old version again on new OSes. That‘s where the money would be.

Should be able to do this (i.e., use a 32 bit installer) with a virtual machine, and a shared directory with the host OS.

At some point, the effort will become just too high... Feasible? maybe. Worthwhile? Not really.

At least for almost all users.

E.g. what stops Adobe from denying the activation of that SW online...?

Interesting. Are you saying that the install would be initialized on a 32-bit compatible VM (Mojave), and the install file destination is on Catalina?

Back