How Low Can You Go? Camera Neck Strap Length Preferences...

raydm6

Yay! Cameras! 🙈🙉🙊┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘ [◉"]
Local time
6:18 AM
I'm curious how you carry/wear your cameras in terms of neck strap length. Do you prefer long or short straps? Do you have other methods for carrying your camera?

For me, I enjoy having the camera rest on my chest or sternum area. I really don't like it riding low on my stomach or waist area (don't like the feeling - like a swaying pendulum) and never really sling it over my shoulder - I'm afraid I would knock it into something by wearing it low with a longish strap (either in front or to my side).

I feel I have more control with the camera riding high (less swaying when walking and I also cradle it with one hand - usually the left - while walking) as it allows me to bring it quicker to my eye.

Thoughts...?

I prefer camera on the neck strap. I like to have it closer to my neck, not to my private parts.

I'm fairly tall and I like a longish strap. Short straps that put the camera on my chest don't feel right to me. I'll sling a camera over my shoulder sometimes or maybe carry a second camera on my shoulder with one around my neck.

When camera + lens overall size/weight is on the heavy side, I use a comfortable long strap as a sling.

With a smaller camera+lens combo I either have a long thinnish soft leather strap as a sling when casually shooting or when more actively shooting I quickly shorten the strap by tying a knot with small loop at the end of the strap and then it hangs on my chest as raydm6.
Sometimes I have the camera strap around my neck and resting in front on my belly, but never really feels safe and I hate the bouncing. Other times it just hangs over my shoulder but that is just wrong.

If I had thought of any other combinations I probably would try them as well :)

And what about socks. Do you like ankle socks or over the calf socks, or somewhere in between? Do you match your socks to your camera strap? Say one yellow sock and one black sock when you are using your Nikon strap? Or maybe you cheaped out and just use the black strap that came with the camera. You can get black socks in a 6 pack which are pretty inexpensive. If you use a Leica, do you wear lederhosen with big wool socks and fancy garters? Nothing kills creativity more than droopy socks.

Over right shoulder, under left arm. 120 cm, maybe a little more. home-made leather strap.

Camera not swinging about, out of the way when on the bicycle, half under my coat in the rain.

cheers

Some good comments... ...but I'm also getting some bad visuals... :eek:

Big camera - across the chest; small camera - neck strap just below the sternum; tiny camera - wrist strap.

Domke Gripper strap over my right shoulder. Leica Barnack is at my right side with the lens behind my arm. Camera and strap are under a jacket in cool/cold weather or under a long sleeve sun blocking shirt in warm/hot weather. The length of the strap is adjusted so it is tight when I bring the camera up to my eye to take a picture. It helps to hold the camera steady. Very secure and out of sight.

The most padded area is my stomach but the camera will point up and collect dribble and crumbs... so this is an issue that may never be resolved without a diet.

For street type photography similar to Doug A but over left shoulder on a longer strap. I custom make my own straps so that the camera sits at waist level about where the butt of an 1911 would be. ;-) A jacket or light shirt ensures the camera is out of sight and also keeps it from slipping off your arm.

I’ve done a fair bit of travel off the beaten track and never liked to appear as a photographer with an expensive camera on my chest. Only time I had an issue was while on the receiving end of a pat down security check at the Istanbul airport. Guard felt the camera and thought I was packing heat, a tense moment until I very slowly opened my jacket to reveal a Leica.
This was before scanning devices were widely used so made sure to avoid concealed carry around security checks after that.

Glenn

Depends on whether I am using a WLF or a eye-level viewer (rangefinder, SLR, viewfinder camera, sports finder, etc.). For WLF, of course lower is better. For the others it is less of an issue.

Over the neck and camera resting over the abdomen, but usually hand holding just below my chin

Same here. Camera always in the hands with finger on the on/off switch , camera set up for fast action. One never knows when a great shot will pop up right in front of you.

All the best,
Mike

Generally I only have the camera around my neck when I'm actively making a picture, for walking around it's either in a bag or on my right shoulder. As for strap length, it's what feels right for the particular camera, longish compared to what some have described here, I suppose.

Back