How many Leica M8's do you currently own?

How many Leica M8's do you currently own?

• Total voters
Pretty bizarre that 7 respondents have 4 M8s and only 2 respondents have 3. This sample is not "normal."

(And neither are the 9 persons who own either 3 or 4 M8s.)

Pretty bizarre that 7 respondents have 4 M8s and only 2 respondents have 3. This sample is not "normal."
(And neither are the 9 persons who own either 3 or 4 M8s.)
Four is definitely remarkable. I'm not so sure how "normal" are those who have "only" two M8s either! :D

A professional with only one camera body is the abnormal one. In fact, if you shoot a wedding, you should probably have at least 3.

To me, what is really abnormal is that amateurs use the M8 at all, and therefore people that own only one M8 are sick, twisted individuals.

:)

The 4th is for....

The 4th is for....

Why would you need four M8s? Let's see: One in the shop, one to shoot with, and one as a spare; but what is the fourth one for?

One to have in transit to and from the repair shop.....(read include rim shot).

I too am a zero. I'm just too turned off by the price and the issues. I keep crossing my fingers that Nikon will come out with an SPD and stop this silliness.

B2 (;->

I have four and while I bring all four to each wedding I shoot, I only use two at a time every other wedding... BTW, when I was using DSLRs, I had the same number of cameras (3 were 1Ds MarkIIs and a 1D MarkIIN)...

Riccis

One to have in transit to and from the repair shop.....(read include rim shot).

I too am a zero. I'm just too turned off by the price and the issues. I keep crossing my fingers that Nikon will come out with an SPD and stop this silliness.

B2 (;->

And what do you think that Nikon would cost? :D

I can happily count myself as a zero having just sold my M8. Never had any problems with that M8 (first two were duds) and the IQ was good enough, but I just didn't get on with it. I am now sharing my time between a Canon 5D and Epson RD1.

Why sold M8 while keep RD1?
Don't get me wrong but M8 file is much better in terms of color, resoultion etc. I am really curious.
kittyhttp://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/images/smilies/banghead.gif

What amazes me about the poll and some of the ensuing debates is that here we are on an M8 forum and the majority of respondents don't only not own an M8 but of those a few are quite vocal about their objections to owning one.

Why are you here?

Why sold M8 while keep RD1?
Don't get me wrong but M8 file is much better in terms of color, resoultion etc. I am really curious.
kittyhttp://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/images/smilies/banghead.gif

Basically, I prefer to use the RD1 - the ergonomics are much better IMO. Up to A3 there really isn't any significant difference between the M8 and the RD1 (from personal experience and prints in hand). The M8 has a lot of plusses - better VF/RF longer EBL, sharper out of camera etc, but I just didn't get on with it - I really didn't like the shutter - noise and vibration - and found that hand holding at low speeds was not as successful as with the RD1 or my M6 and MP. (Hand held at low speeds is important to me and one of the key aspects of RF cameras). Its not a bad camera, its just not for me at this time. YMMV.

What amazes me about the poll and some of the ensuing debates is that here we are on an M8 forum and the majority of respondents don't only not own an M8 but of those a few are quite vocal about their objections to owning one.

Why are you here?

One of the options is zero. Ergo you either don't have one or you had one and sold it. Leica brings out the devil in a lot of people. There is a cure, but you have to enter the dentistry, medical or legal professions ;)

Basically, I prefer to use the RD1 - the ergonomics are much better IMO. Up to A3 there really isn't any significant difference between the M8 and the RD1 (from personal experience and prints in hand). The M8 has a lot of plusses - better VF/RF longer EBL, sharper out of camera etc, but I just didn't get on with it - I really didn't like the shutter - noise and vibration - and found that hand holding at low speeds was not as successful as with the RD1 or my M6 and MP. (Hand held at low speeds is important to me and one of the key aspects of RF cameras). Its not a bad camera, its just not for me at this time. YMMV.

I understand now. I agree. I feel very good with RD1 too. Just the problem I have is color. It looks flat more like nikon. I don't see leica lens color character from RD1. It's color look like normal digital camera.

I understand now. I agree. I feel very good with RD1 too. Just the problem I have is color. It looks flat more like nikon. I don't see leica lens color character from RD1. It's color look like normal digital camera.

The RD1 sensor is the same one used in the Nikon D100, therefore colour may be similar to Nikons. Others (Sean Reid???) have said that the RD1 file gives you more scope in post processing. Personally I have no problem with the colour from the RD1 and find it to be reasonably accurate. I always shoot raw and can adjust to my taste. If you shoot jpeg then you can try the different "film styles" or boost contrast in camera.

I can respect that. This is a matter of taste. The reason I never bought an RD1 was that I could not get on with Voigtlander Bessa cameras in the first place. :(

I can respect that. This is a matter of taste. The reason I never bought an RD1 was that I could not get on with Voigtlander Bessa cameras in the first place. :(

And that is also a good reason not to have an RD1. If all I ever did was look at them, I would keep the M8 - it is a very nice looking camera (especially in chrome).

found that hand holding at low speeds was not as successful as with the RD1 or my M6 and MP. (Hand held at low speeds is important to me and one of the key aspects of RF cameras). Its not a bad camera, its just not for me at this time. YMMV.

YMMV indeed. The following were shot hand-held, leaning backward using a 28mm lens @ 1/4 sec. The second is a 100% enlargement of a crop of the moon.

Attachments

• L1041635.jpg
    L1041635.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 0
  • L1041635_1.jpg
    L1041635_1.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 0
I was holding the camera with both hands but I had to lean back to shoot up at the sky, which isn't by far the most effective body posture for handheld photography at slow shutter speeds. This was shot at a Leica demo event in South Beach, and none of us had tripods and were checking our abilities to shoot handheld with the M8. Carlos who posts here as Etrigan was there too, and can vouch that no tripods were used. (Well, except for the little folding camera stand that David Farkas had from Manfrotto. I have to get me one of those!). CHECK IT OUT

YMMV indeed. The following were shot hand-held, leaning backward using a 28mm lens @ 1/4 sec. The second is a 100% enlargement of a crop of the moon.

Ben,

I just could not get used to the feel of the shutter - when I focused on it I could see that the camera moved as I was pressing the shutter - just slightly, but enough to make a difference at slow speeds.

Back