How often do you use a Tripod?

• Never.

Votes: 70 20.4%
  • Occasionally ... when I need to.

Votes: 198 57.7%
  • Regularly.

Votes: 75 21.9%

• Total voters
I just picked up a used Manfrotto 410 Junior Geared Pan-and-Tilt Head for my Manfrotto tripod for the yen equivalent of $46.70.

I walked into my favorite camera shop in Yokohama and was asking about the new Voigtländer Nokton 23mm f1.2 (Fuji X-mount) lens; specifically how much they'd be selling it for when they get it in. While the salesman was on the computer checking things out I wandered around checking out their used stuff. That's when I found the 410 junior gear head sitting on a shelf. It looked new to me - absolutely mint! I played with it and everything worked well, it came with 2 quick release base plates, and, I had been wanting a gear head for some time (I don't like ball heads). I asked the salesman if it was new? He said it was used (you could have fooled me). I said I'll take it! When he rang it up on the cash register he smiled and knocked the price down from 8500 yen to 5500 yen ($46.70 charged on my credit card). This thing new costs $336.88 at B&H. I am a very good customer and I really appreciated the discount.

Why do I want a gear head? I'm fanatical about level horizons and having my perpendiculars at proper right angles. I think it'll be fun to dial in the horizontals and perpendiculars precisely!

All the best,
Mike

I use 35mm cameras which were designed primarily for fast shooting.
Tripods are rather antithetical to that use.

I have owned various tripods but used few of them, and then only occasionally.
Even my seldom used monopod is carried more as defense against small animal attack.

Chris

Back