Huge depth of field

Since ALWAYS, undue bokeh is a sign of amateurism.

F8 is to be embraced, if you want good photography.

Wide open is to be used strictly in low light, where the bokeh will look natural. Bokeh looks natural in according light.

I’m working on 5 books, three of which are imminent. All the pics with undue bokeh simply have not made the cut. They simply screamed amateurism.

I've done much better as an amateur photographer through my career. Photography is a fun hobby. It's also fun and interesting to take the equipment apart, basically reverse engineer some of the optics. But for a career- I was making more per hour 40 years ago as a computer engineer working on digital imagers than what the average salary is for a photographer in 2024.

As far as shooting wide-open with a rangefinder, takes a certain skill that many people do not possess. Down to calibrating the lens for use with different filters for monochrome. Just part of the fun.

Since ALWAYS, undue bokeh is a sign of amateurism.

F8 is to be embraced, if you want good photography.

Wide open is to be used strictly in low light, where the bokeh will look natural. Bokeh looks natural in according light.

I’m working on 5 books, three of which are imminent. All the pics with undue bokeh simply have not made the cut. They simply screamed amateurism.
Well, IT HAS BEEN DECREED!!! Personally, I'm happy to be consigned to the scrap heap of "amateurism".

Please guys, do not use a 16x neutral density in blazing sunlight, in hopes to shoot at f1.0. The results do not look right.

F8 is plenty excellent. Who can argue?

I've done much better as an amateur photographer through my career. Photography is a fun hobby. It's also fun and interesting to take the equipment apart, basically reverse engineer some of the optics. But for a career- I was making more per hour 40 years ago as a computer engineer working on digital imagers than what the average salary is for a photographer in 2024.

As far as shooting wide-open with a rangefinder, takes a certain skill that many people do not possess. Down to calibrating the lens for use with different filters for monochrome. Just part of the fun.

Does the profession still exist in 2024? Aannual salary must be close to 100.24$ or maybe is it below the 75$ mark already?

Does the profession still exist in 2024? Aannual salary must be close to 100.24$ or maybe is it below the 75$ mark already?
According to the report- below $50K average for most Professional Photographer positions.
From the report I cited,
"According to indeed.com, the average photographer salary is between US$15.22 and US$38.78 per hour. Photographers that are just starting in their career can charge an average of US$13.46 and slightly grow this over the first five years. After that, the average wage increases up to US$18.34 with 6-9 years of experience and reaches the highest point after ten years with US$20.84 per hour."

New Computer Science graduates are getting $75K and above, one of my Student Interns with his Bachelor's degree in computer engineering was offered almost $90K out of school. He picked up a Panasonic G-9, I gave him several manual focus lenses including a Helios-44. He has fun with them.

According to the report- below $50K average for most Professional Photographer positions.
From the report I cited,
"According to indeed.com, the average photographer salary is between US$15.22 and US$38.78 per hour. Photographers that are just starting in their career can charge an average of US$13.46 and slightly grow this over the first five years. After that, the average wage increases up to US$18.34 with 6-9 years of experience and reaches the highest point after ten years with US$20.84 per hour."

New Computer Science graduates are getting $75K and above, one of my Student Interns with his Bachelor's degree in computer engineering was offered almost $90K out of school. He picked up a Panasonic G-9, I gave him several manual focus lenses including a Helios-44. He has fun with them.

So I wasn’t wrong, 100.24$ is below 50K

If you are making $100.24 in a year, time to change professions.
Not everyone that uses a computer wants to be a computer engineer, not everyone that uses a camera wants to be a Professional Photographer.
I use both- and truly had a great time in the 1980s working on Digital Imagers. Once they were no longer considered "Advanced Technology Demonstration" type projects, got moved to optical networking. The 1990s for me. People made insane amounts of money for that bubble. All my engineers stayed with me, liked the projects.
After 45 years, retiring from my job. And have four job offers to choose from. I chose wisely.
I'll still do my own camera and lens repair. It's fun. 0.02mm increase in shim to shoot a 5cm F1.5 Sonnar on an M Monochrom wide-open using an Orange filter.

Just remembered- my first job, camera used, huge DOF. Pin-Hole lens for X-Ray spectroscopy. Tokamak and Nuclear Fusion Energy research. Kodak "NoScreen" film, used a "Scanning Densitometer" to digitize the images. It filled a Lab, run by a Dec PDP-8. That should date it for computer geeks.

Last edited:
Just remembered- my first job, camera used, huge DOF. Pin-Hole lens for X-Ray spectroscopy. Tokamak and Nuclear Fusion Energy research. Kodak "NoScreen" film, used a "Scanning Densitometer" to digitize the images. It filled a Lab, run by a Dec PDP-8. That should date it for computer geeks.
Yup. They were ... interesting ... computers. I far preferred dealing with the PDP-11's & Vaxen :)

Back