Inexpensive but excellent camera bag

x-ray

Mentor
Local time
2:53 AM
I was in a local sporting goods store several years ago and noticed they had tactical bags or often called bug out bags. These were on the small side to be a bug out bag but struck me that they would make a great camera bag.

The price was right, under $30 US, so I bought one. When I got it home I dug through my old camera bag dividers and found a Domke 2 compartment insert that fit perfectly in the tactical bag. I found my Rollei 3.5F and 2 meters fit in the main compartment perfectly and hood, filters, proxars and film fit the external pouches.

It’s nicely padded and the shoulder strap is wide and has a movable well cushioned pad on it. Even the back of the case is nicely padded with a mesh covering to help prevent moisture buildup.

In total if I had to buy the insert along with the case I doubt I’d have more than $75-80 invested for a really nice case. I forgot to mention, this one even has a rain fly inside. Also you can buy additional pouches that attach to these cases. They’re designed to be modular and they’re inexpensive and functional.

I love the kaki and olive color but the come in black and a variety of camo. You can find them on Amazon, in gun stores, sporting goods stores sometimes and military and police supply stores. They’re also pollute for emergency kits for EMT’s.

I found I like these so well that I bought several for different cameras.

Attachments

• IMG_4695.jpeg
    IMG_4695.jpeg
    457.3 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_4694.jpeg
    IMG_4694.jpeg
    420.5 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_4689.jpeg
    IMG_4689.jpeg
    358.7 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_4688.jpeg
    IMG_4688.jpeg
    647.4 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_4687.jpeg
    IMG_4687.jpeg
    507.1 KB · Views: 54
I am one of the few here who consider a camera bag no more than something functional to transport cameras between times you use them. Just like cameras are necessary for photography but easier, cheaper, and more reliable the better. To each their own. But this looks like a functional economical product.

Whatever happened to Backalley Joe, who seemed to buy and try every camera bag made? He was a super nice guy but seemed to disappear sometime when I was off line.

Those look like functional bags but I would go for something lower key that was less conspicuous/less military in appearance than the olive and khaki. The nice thing about these kinda bags is that they are often designed to be adaptable, and if miltary surplus usually well-made.

Those look like functional bags but I would go for something lower key that was less conspicuous/less military in appearance than the olive and khaki. The nice thing about these kinda bags is that they are often designed to be adaptable, and if miltary surplus usually well-made.
I wear vests almost all year round and my favorite ones are olive or khaki. They blend well and they don’t suggest there’s anything terribly valuable inside. The other bags I mainly use are several Domke bags I’ve been using for decades. I’m a product of the 60’s hippie generation when the surplus gas mask bag was popular. I still have one I’ve had 60 years with a peace symbol patch sown on that I still carry a camera in. It goes well with my long hair and beard. 😁

If you want lower key then these bags come in black.

Edit: The patch is attached by Velcro so you can put a variety of other patches on if you like. You can even get custom patches with your name or camera inside

Dear x-ray,

A couple of years ago I bought a half dozen of those and a really big one that can easily hold 2 of the bags the size of yours. I dedicated them to fishing gear but you have me thinking I may need to repurpose one or two of the smaller ones? Nice work! :)

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg PA :)

I have Nikon gear in one and my Rollei in another then have another with emergency first aid supplies. I’m thinking of picking up a smaller one for my X-E3 with 27mm pancake and an extra battery.

Looking on Amazon it looks like most what they have at the moment are sling bags around $20. It’s hard to beat something this well made and functional for $20. And something like this you don’t have to worry about getting it dirty or damaged like a $400 Billingham case plus it doesn’t scream of expensive contents.

I wear vests almost all year round and my favorite ones are olive or khaki. They blend well and they don’t suggest there’s anything terribly valuable inside. The other bags I mainly use are several Domke bags I’ve been using for decades. I’m a product of the 60’s hippie generation when the surplus gas mask bag was popular. I still have one I’ve had 60 years with a peace symbol patch sown on that I still carry a camera in. It goes well with my long hair and beard. 😁

If you want lower key then these bags come in black.

Edit: The patch is attached by Velcro so you can put a variety of other patches on if you like. You can even get custom patches with your name or camera inside
I have been a fan of the Domke bags for decades. I prefer the bags that are nondescript, especially the ones that look well-used and worn, or can be transformed into such by judicious use of sandpaper. I have several hippie straps that compliment the worn bags nicely.

Last edited:
First thing anyone who sees one of these bags thinks is that there is a firearm in the back zipper pocket. They're predominantly sold as concealed carry rigs for people who carry lots of other "stuff" along with their firearm.

Yes, I own one. I stopped using it because it wasn't very practical in the long run. I have yet to find a bag that isn't either too small or too big for my needs.

I have been a fan of the Domke bags for decades. I prefer the bags that are nondescript, especially the ones that look well-used and worn, or can be transformed into such by judicious use of sandpaper. I have several hippie straps that compliment the worn bags nicely.
I'm also fond of the simple Domke (mine are 20+ yrs old)... the complicated tactical look/arrangement just isn't for me....even the the central part of the bag might fit my camera of choice

I’m currently 68 years old. In the last 10 years or so, somewhere along the way of my great big journey of life, the shoulder camera bag became a big problem. The offset weight of a loaded camera bag was a no-can-do for my back. So, I went to a back-pack. Problem solved.

These days I use an LL Bean day pack or maybe it’s a book pack (I don’t know, I stole it from my wife); anyway it’s perfect for me. I put some size 13 Dr. Scholl's comfort insoles wrapped in an old leather chamois in the bottom of the backpack for some cushion and that’s about it. My gear (usually one camera with lens mounted and a second lens) sits comfortably there ‘til I get to my destination then I’m off and walking with my primary setup around my neck.

Also, I like to walk on crowded streets. A shoulder bag is a bit cumbersome; a low-profile backpack is perfect.

And, additionally, I usually carry a lock-tight kind of Tupperware in my backpack. When I’m out taking pictures I like to eat lunch in a nice restaurant but I find it difficult to eat all the lunch by myself without feeling stuffed. I hate feeling stuffed so I put half my lunch in the Tupperware and give it to my wife when I get home; she’s delighted, I’m happy… it’s a win win!

All the best,
Mike

I’m one who doesn’t like any bag that shouts camera. I have an old secondhand Billingham, but it’s really not my thing - too big and too obvious. I’ve also got a less upmarket bag that’s also not my thing, although I might throw it in the back of the car if we’re going away on holiday.

So, sometimes I will put a body and lens in my plain cloth messenger bag, that doubles as my work bag. Best of all for me are two old bum bags (Fanny packs) that will hold an M with a lens mounted and a second lens if I want. I can walk, run, dance or otherwise move as I wish with these on. They neither restrict me nor do they attract attention.

I’m 58 fwiw and still want to be free to move!

All the best

Mike

I’m 75 and have thought about getting one of those fancy walkers with locking wheels and the seat with a compartment underneath. I think that would make a perfect cart to carry equipment in and have a seat to sit on if you get tired. Hang a water bottle off it, attach an umbrella to keep the sun off you and an accessory apron across the handles to carry other items in. Who’s going to mess with an old guy with a walker😁. I can certainly play the part of an old guy and don’t think anyone would feel threatened by an old guy with a little camera.

Are pictures of something with américain, sorry, switched to English claviature, American flag and something which reminds my soviet school bag for shoes change is what is stated in the title ?

Maybe... I was very happy with American made Tamrac bag, only to find ten years+ later it is not made in USA anymore, but was taken over by China and it is not the same anymore...

Charity shops are our best friends for el cheapo camera bags.

I used LowePro for many years, until there seemed to be a major change in how they were manufactured and I found the overall quality went down drastically. So I stopped buying them (why I had previously bought so many in the first place is a question I can't really answer, even to myself, but that's me) and instead took to bags I picked up in charity shops.

A close second for me would be K-Mart all purpose carry bags. Like many here, I dislike going out with a bag that shouts CAMERA in a language most petty thieves so easily understand. I've never been robbed by one so far, so I must be doing it right...

Cosmetics bags are ideal for smaller cameras. They seem to be superbly well constructed. And cost ridiculously small amounts. And their brand names give them an unusually snazzy 'cachet'.

As well I buy and use 'hard' spectacles (= eyeglasses) cases to store camera cords, filters and other small accessory items. Also my fountain pens and my collection of old watches at home. Often as not I get these for AUD $1 each and sometimes there are two for one sales, so what's not to like about that?

I was in a local sporting goods store several years ago and noticed they had tactical bags or often called bug out bags. These were on the small side to be a bug out bag but struck me that they would make a great camera bag.

The price was right, under $30 US, so I bought one. When I got it home I dug through my old camera bag dividers and found a Domke 2 compartment insert that fit perfectly in the tactical bag. I found my Rollei 3.5F and 2 meters fit in the main compartment perfectly and hood, filters, proxars and film fit the external pouches.

It’s nicely padded and the shoulder strap is wide and has a movable well cushioned pad on it. Even the back of the case is nicely padded with a mesh covering to help prevent moisture buildup.

In total if I had to buy the insert along with the case I doubt I’d have more than $75-80 invested for a really nice case. I forgot to mention, this one even has a rain fly inside. Also you can buy additional pouches that attach to these cases. They’re designed to be modular and they’re inexpensive and functional.

I love the kaki and olive color but the come in black and a variety of camo. You can find them on Amazon, in gun stores, sporting goods stores sometimes and military and police supply stores. They’re also pollute for emergency kits for EMT’s.

I found I like these so well that I bought several for different cameras.

I like that bag. A bit off topic but what flag is that?

I like that bag. A bit off topic but what flag is that?
It is the Betsy Ross Flag (early American Flag design)
The Betsy Ross flag is a reconstructed early design for the flag of the United States, which is conformant to the Flag Act of 1777 and has red stripes outermost and stars arranged in a circle. These details elaborate on the 1777 act, passed early in the American Revolutionary War, which specified 13 alternating red and white horizontal stripes and 13 white stars in a blue canton. Its name stems from the story, once widely believed, that shortly after the 1777 act, upholsterer and flag maker Betsy Ross produced a flag of this design.[1]

FWIW some militia groups do use that flag, so I wouldn't go there, especially with that handgun pouch.
I no longer wear my Hawaiian shirts due to the Boogaloo Boys link.

Chris
I’m not going to cave to that stuff. Someone’s going to find something wrong with whatever you do. Someone will be offended. People are looking for any reason to be angry these days. Sick!

I’m fortunate I live in an area where people are still sane and not paranoid. As to gun pouch, I seem to remember that’s one of our protected rights and I encourage people to exercise their rights.

Back