Inexpensive Chinese Contax Mount to LTM- Maybe a little work required.

If the copper tape does not hang up on the mount, it does hold up. I've used copper tape to create a close-focus correction for using a CZJ 8.5cm F2 with a Contax to M-Mount adapter. 15 years ago.
I was thinking about the idea of a tapered cam like on my Amedeo M adapter, but suspect that is over my ability to figure out at this point. I've got plenty of copper tape so will try to adjust for close focus at either f2 or f2.8 like I did for my Jupiter 8. I'm planning to use an f2 Sonnar on this adapter since that is a nice match with the smaller Barnack cameras, and I have the Amedeo for f1.5 lenses on M.

For $53- the adapters are worth buying and pairing with a lens.

We'll see how it goes. I can always use it on Live view.
I just got one of these in the mail, from that exact vendor. It works great with my Helios-103, which has been set to Nikon RF standard by unscrewing the mount 180deg. I was worried based on the posts recently in this thread, that it wouldn't couple properly with my M240. Reassuring to see that it couples with the rangefinder properly both at 0.7m and at infinity. To be clear, this is the CRF to LTM adapter listed in the ebay link above. Cheers!

Very cool and good to know.

I just got one of these in the mail, from that exact vendor. It works great with my Helios-103, which has been set to Nikon RF standard by unscrewing the mount 180deg. I was worried based on the posts recently in this thread, that it wouldn't couple properly with my M240. Reassuring to see that it couples with the rangefinder properly both at 0.7m and at infinity. To be clear, this is the CRF to LTM adapter listed in the ebay link above. Cheers!

Last edited:
I just bought another one for the restored 1933 Sonnar. The Cam is too long, and the adapter front-focuses using the RF of my M240. That can be fixed by polishing the cam down. This all means- luck of the draw. The manufacturing tolerances and quality control are very loose on these.

The RF Cam was driving the rangefinder past infinity. Actual infinity for the adapter was correct, and it could be used with Liveview.
8micron sand paper, followed by fiber-optic polishing sheets. Scary. I did not do any measurements, just polished until it looked good to me. I've been doing this for a long time. All using the RF of the M240.

RIMG0029.jpgRIMG0031.jpgM2405599.jpgM2405602.jpgM2405603.jpgM2405604.jpgM2405605.jpg

Wide-open, and F2.8 for the pairs.

One more, wide-open. I shimmed this early Sonnar to be between the Zeiss and Nikon (Leica) standard. I made the mount for it by cutting down a later mount. Aperture coupling is an I-26 screw, aperture ring made from scrap parts of too many lenses in a box to remember where they all came from.
M2405595.jpg

Some shots from yesterday, using Liveview. This is before I polished down the RF cam, which made using the RF unreliable. Sun was out. All wide-open. This lens is nice.
M2405584.jpgM2405585.jpgM2405587.jpg

Last edited:
Alright got an update. Just got in that cheap adapter that was posted up there, L39 screw mount. I paired it with a M39-LM adapter for 28-90 frame lines and the 50mm nikkor is now aligned both the LV and the RF patch. My other adapter for 35/135mm frame lines was out of phase a bit. It was less than the RF-LTM adapter, but still out of phase. I'm not sure if a 50/75 adapter will also be aligned as I don't have one, but I might order one since they're cheap already just to have it. Tried this on my M240P, not sure if this will transfer to a film camera.

If the LV and RF align with the one adapter for the 50mm lens, it means the other adapter has a slightly different thickness. Focus with the RF should still agree with liveview.
Does the adapter correctly focus to infinity?

I read through this whole thread, but sorry if I missed the answer to the question. Was there an issue with certain later model years of the Helios 103 by turning out the mount 180 degrees, or will that trick work with all of them? I have a Helios 103 coming (not sure what year) and debating whether to do the mod with my Amedeo external/internal Nikon adapter or to get one of the eBay ones that can presumably focus more closely (0.7m v. 0.9m).

And I assume that the eBay adapters will work out of the box with the 50mm f/1.4 Millennium Nikkor. Getting that closer focusing distance makes a big difference for me with RF 50s.

The early Helios-103 has a secondary shim for the rear group. You can take it out, and polish it down ~0.4mm to use on a Nikon RF camera, or the adapter.
The later Helios-103, easiest way to set for use on a Nikon is to undo the set screws and unscrew 1/2 turn, so that the hold for the set screws line-up again.

If the LV and RF align with the one adapter for the 50mm lens, it means the other adapter has a slightly different thickness. Focus with the RF should still agree with liveview.
Does the adapter correctly focus to infinity?
I'm going to come back with an update probably tomorrow or sometime this week. The pictures I took were just indoors, so didn't get really test for infinity.

So, is it safe to say that there is no currently-available alternative to the Amedeo, Coiro Optics (sold out anyway), or Kipon for RF-coupled external-mount Contax lenses?

That is accurate- no high quality, ready to use out of the box with a high probability of success.
These Chinese adapters are cheap, but either use them with Liveview or be prepared to hack them for use.

Reactions: das
Back