Infrared S10

Tom Diaz

Well-known
Local time
3:38 PM
(I actually take pictures, folks; it's not all about gear-acquisition. However:)

Once again I could not resist a fascinating GXR thing. This time it is a Hong Kong dealer offering the S10 compact zoom, converted to infrared, for $100.

I have one on the way. It comes with your choice of one narrow-band filter (out of 4 available) included in the $100. I got the camera and all four filters, for a total of $148.

I have been shooting a fair amount of IR lately, with a US-converted Panasonic G3. (LifePixel did a great conversion, in case that sounds good.) So IR is becoming a new branch of what I do.

This means, on the one hand, that I don't need another IR machine. I have the G3 and a number of fantastically good m4/3 lenses for it. On the other hand, what about those days when I just want to go out with the GXR stuff? (This is actually such a day, this afternoon.) It'd be cool to have a tiny S10 in my pocket that could shoot IR. I could have the P10 in the other pocket.

So, there you have it. I'd be interested to know if anyone has this IR thing (if not, go buy one and we'll trade information).

Tom

Not sure what this means? "I got that plus the other three, for a total of $148."

Which cutoff filter did you choose for your GXR?

There really is no need to purchase an additional IR camera, especially because you already have an IR-converted GXR. Your options could have been to have it converted to 665nm or full spectrum. Then if you want to shoot with a higher cut off filter on a 665nm, you just have to mount an external IR filter on your lens. Or if you have the GXR converted to full spectrum, then you can mount any IR cut-off filter to shoot IR or a hot mirror filter to shoot "regular" photos.

The downside is buying multiple filters, which could get expensive, especially if your lenses have different filter sizes. Also, a caveat, mounting a 720nm or 850nm filter on a 590nm conversion doesn't really do the job.

My own IR gear consists of a NEX3 (with 16-50mm) converted to 665nm and an 850nm external filter. I have a few IR images on my website

I've recently bought a second hand GXR A12 leica module that was faulty, ended up removing Hot mirror filter (not touched UV yet), mounted lens with Hoya R72 and tested it, results came out pretty good, but I need to play with it a bit more . One advice, if you are buying an expensive filters (any type) always go for the biggest size and then use step-down rings , they are cheap to buy and that way one filter could be mounted on several lenses with different filter ring sizes .

Hoya R72
4064637.jpg

4065014.jpg

Not sure what this means? "I got that plus the other three, for a total of $148."

I don't blame you for being confused! There were several typos in my original post, which I hope I have fixed.

There were four IR filters offered: 590nm, 650nm, 720nm and 850nm. I got all four of them.

Tom

I've recently bought a second hand GXR A12 leica module that was faulty, ended up removing Hot mirror filter (not touched UV yet), mounted lens with Hoya R72 and tested it, results came out pretty good, but I need to play with it a bit more .

That looks like it's working really well, and now you have an APS-C camera, converted to IR, to use with all those fine lenses. So you removed the "hot" filter yourself? Was it difficult?

LifePixel can convert GXR-M mount modules, I think. I may consider that in the future, but this converted S10 was a lot cheaper.

I corrected my original post after realizing it was unclear, but the guy doing the S10 conversions offers narrow-band filters for US$16 apiece, with one included in the $100 base price.

Tom

Yes, it was fairly easy for me, but scary :))) I've fixed few cameras in the past, but never touched the sensors .
Your IR filters , those that you bought to go with the S10 , what make are they ? Would love to see a sample from 850nm;)

Yes, it was fairly easy for me, but scary :))) I've fixed few cameras in the past, but never touched the sensors .
Your IR filters , those that you bought to go with the S10 , what make are they ? Would love to see a sample from 850nm;)

I don't know the make. Maybe something custom? The IR conversion was done by the guy(s) selling the S10 module, and the filters come from the same guys.

I will try to remember to put a sample here when the gear arrives.

Tom

Hiya, Scope.

Just received the S10 IR about an hour ago.

There are some test pictures here:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffgallery/showcollection.php?cid=10256

The pictures are unprocessed (no fancy photoshop work with color channels, etc.) other than having been converted to B&W in Lightroom.

There are four filters:
The 590 nm and 650 nm are Rocolax brand (made in Taiwan)
The 720 nm and 850 nm are Green.L brand (looks like they are either made in China or Taiwan--can't read all the words)

Let's see if I can describe the contents of the kit. (That is, this is what I received for what I consider a bargain price of US$148.)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzo3I9oWZc3pdVZSdGFsdy1FQ1k/view?usp=sharing

(Clockwise from upper left if you're looking at the picture) Filter retainer, IR S10 module, S10 retaining ring (remove this to put on the filter retainer), 850 nm filter, 720 nm, lens cap (fits the filter retainer only, FWIW), rubber hood for filter retainer (nice design--fits snugly in the correct orientation to prevent vignetting, looks like), 650 nm filter, and 590 nm filter.

I may have a chance to shoot some more this afternoon and weekend with it.

My first impression: great deal for the money. It does not look like it is the equal of my infrared Panasonic G3, of course, but it does mean I can shoot IR if I want to go out with a GXR kit and nothing else.

The S10 module has no serial number on it, so it must originate from spare parts or something. Fair enough, I say. To use it you need to remove a few pieces of protective plastic film from the contacts and the lens surface. There were no official S10 packaging things (case, etc.) and no documentation.

Tom

Hey, Tom!

Thanks for the description and the samples , looks like you got a good deal ! Shooting with the IR made me change my WB to custom, so now I don't have any purple/red tint pictures, pure monochrome on live view and out of camera . Enjoy your new toy and post more shots when you get a chance.
Sabir

Hey, Tom!

Thanks for the description and the samples , looks like you got a good deal ! Shooting with the IR made me change my WB to custom, so now I don't have any purple/red tint pictures, pure monochrome on live view and out of camera . Enjoy your new toy and post more shots when you get a chance.
Sabir

Hi again, Sabir. This is one of a few today, with the 850 nm filter. If you set the WB to some custom setting, with a grey card or whatever, you still get three colors out of the camera, right? In any case, this one was shot with the in-camera "B&W" setting.

Tom

U1834I1437867381.SEQ.2.jpg

I do think IR has to be used judiciously.... Still, this works really well for a $100 module, assuming you already have a GXR body.

U1834I1437867380.SEQ.0.jpg

Fantastic results , first and the second are my favorite!
Isn't it handy having a small IR module that can be attached and be ready to shoot in secs? I need to use mine more often.

Setting my WB quick , I pointed at white object an fired while on custom WB setting , that's all :cool: now I get no color ,just pure monochrome images, be it RAW or jpegs, they still need a bit of touch in pp, but mostly contrast etc.

Wow, thanks Tom,

I snagged one on ebay and also another used GXR body plus S10 kit, all under $200.

This should be fun, Haven't shot IR since I had an M8, and for this price, why not!

Other than 10 megapixels, have you experienced any other downsides with this setup?

I noted another unit on sale, on the bay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Infrared-L...028931?hash=item2849833b03:g:x-gAAOSwBkRaMgtF

You'd have to supply your own filter adapter and IR filters, but you can probably put all that together with this unit for about $100, which is about what I paid for the converted S10 unit plus adapter and filters.

Tom

Back