Inkjet printer advice

Dave G

Local time
7:01 PM
Hi,

Can someone please give me advice on choosing a inkjet printer that will be used in the main for black and white prints and few colour up to A4.

My budget is around £500.00.

I'm sort of looking at either the Epson 2100 (Although this is now discontinued?) or its replacement, the 2400, but its unlikely I'll need to go up to A3. I'm less sure about Canon or HP printers?

So anyone running a printer mainly for B&W - please post a reply or if anyone knows of a site that has good reviews that I can browse.

Thanks,

David

Last edited:
David, personally I'd go for the Epson 2400. Even though you only want to print A4 at this stage it would be nice to have the ability to print A3 if required.

Every review I've seen of the 2400 has commented on how good the b&w prints are. There's a review of the printer in the latest edition of 'Black and White Photography' magazine that concludes that it's an excellent choice for b&w printing.

Steve

Steve,

Thanks for the reply - I have just been to my local news agents and picked a copy of B&W photography - it looks like the 2400 gets a big thumbs up! And I've just found one for a little over £500.

All the best,

David

Dave, I'm sure you won't be disapointed. The 2400 is going to be my next printer - unless something better/cheaper comes along in the meantime.

The magazine is excellent too :)

Steve

Curiously I had exactly the same request as Dave, been checking the 2400 (2200 successor) and must say my budget may be limited to aprox. half that :(

Anyone has experience with less expensive models such as the 750 (or its successor the 800), mainly in the B&W printing field ?

TIA

Oscar

Can anyone answer what may seem to be a dumb ass question.

Does the surface that the printer is placed on make any difference to the quality of the print? For example: placing the printer on a carpeted floor as opposed to placing on a stable desk top?

Just a thought.

Thanks,

Dave

I'll put in a good word for the HP line.

I have the 7660, and have to say that I am very impressed with its output. The fact that you can switch back and forth between colour and B+W, that it has never suffered from clogging, and you don't have to spend ages messing around to get a decent print works for me. Ink usage is not that bad, and you don't waste any doing head clean cycles.

I have tried three or four different papers, but really like the Ilford Gallery Smooth Pearl. I've left some test prints out in a sunny spot, and not had any problems with fading.

When it comes time to replace it, I will get another HP.

Paul

You will not regret getting the R2400. Its B&W printing surpasses anything I've ever produced in a wet room. Its colour print output is also fantastic. Go for it!

B&W is all I do in my art photo x-ray bisiness www.x-rayarts.com. I'm very picky about my b&w work and have two epsons dedicated to B&W .I have a 2200 with septone poigments and a 7000 with piezography pigments. I also have for my commercial side a 1270 that I use fro proof sheets, a 2200 for general printing of color and a 7600 for large color prints. I just purchased a 2400 to see how it would fare with the septone and piezography and was delighted after some tweeking of my files and climbing the learning curve. I currently am planning to sell all of my 2200's, 7000 and 7600. I'll keep the 2400 and purchase a 9800. I previously used image print rip and never liked the look but the 2400 is equal to the septone and piezography with much more flexability and beats the pants off image print.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=5045

Hi,

Thanks to all those who recommended the 2400 - I took delivery yesterday and straight from the box is producing some amazing results!

Thanks,

Dave

Dave G said:
Can anyone answer what may seem to be a dumb ass question.

Does the surface that the printer is placed on make any difference to the quality of the print? For example: placing the printer on a carpeted floor as opposed to placing on a stable desk top?

Yes. A stable platform is always best. A larger injet already tries to jump around, if it is not on a stable platform... I wouldn't bet on getting the best from it (or the longest life).

Well it looks like I am too late to put in a good word for the HP 7960. Glad you are getting good results.

Bob

I just bought an Epson R2400 -- tips/advice from any members already using this printer will certainly be appreciated. Thank you in advance :angel:.

I've got a 2200, love it...I've concluded that for matte paper (eg Moab Entrada) it's perfect, readily as good as the newer 2400...but if I want to use semi-matte papers I'll go with a 4800 because it'll also give me bigger print options (I'll probably keep the 2200 for matte prints).

djon said:
I've got a 2200, love it...I've concluded that for matte paper (eg Moab Entrada) it's perfect, readily as good as the newer 2400...but if I want to use semi-matte papers I'll go with a 4800 because it'll also give me bigger print options (I'll probably keep the 2200 for matte prints).
Do you, or any other members, have recommendations for paper brand/type to get started with? I realize personal preference will eventually come into consideration, but I will be a complete newb at this. My recent preference for conventional B&W printing has been Ilford MGIV (after Kodak abandoned us); and as I've never printed color before I'm open to all suggestions for good color printing paper. By the way, I did not purchase paper with the printer because I wanted to research and ask advice first. Thanks in advance for any suggections.

Hi

a)
"The Epson C86 is a letter-size printer that is often on sale for less than $50. This printer with the MIS "EZ" Ultra Tone inks in it is the cheapest and simplest route to B&W digital printing. No special software -- not even Photoshop -- is required, nor are any special printing curves or profiles. Yet, the setup is capable of printing images that look as good as professional systems that cost thousands of dollars. There is no digital printing system that can print more lightfast and archival images, regardless of cost. This is an amazing value"

For more, please see:

http://home1.gte.net/res09aij/

b) Epson 2200 as a dedicated b&W priter, using MIS UT7 inks.

http://www.inksupply.com/

Ukko Heikkinen

Honu-Hugger said:
Do you, or any other members, have recommendations for paper brand/type to get started with?

Epson Enhanced Matte. The only dismerit is that it is acid and therefore not truly archival, but good enough for tens of years, and a good proofing paper.

Ukko Heikkinen

Epson 2200 is wonderful with OEM pigments..MIS isn't better visually, just cooler-looking. And MIS has well documented quality control and clogging issues. Nonetheless, people who like cool-looking prints, as opposed to faintly warm or selenium-toned black, do prefer MIS. MIS permanence, even of pure carbon inks, has not tested to rival Epson OEM pigments for permanence.

Epson Enhanced Matte is beautiful as a brilliant white, totally matte paper. But if you can adjust your thinking to enjoying softer paper with more permanence and its own inherent beauty, there are many tempting non-Epson papers. Currently I'm happiest with Moab Entrada Natural (which is very warm) and Illuminata Ultra Smooth from www.inkjetart.com

Ukko and djon,
Thank you for the advice -- it provides a very helpful starting point for experimentation. Now if I can only survive the one-two punch of learning to use a new printer and a scanner...(I still have trouble with the DVD/VCR -- no kidding!!!).

Back