Is there a list somewhere of Nikon SLR eye cups that lists compatibility?

Tim Murphy

Well-known
Local time
12:54 PM
Dear Board,

I finally figured what scratched the lens of my glasses. It's the ridged metal ring on my Nikon F2A Photomic viewfinder.

What I can't figure out is what lens rings fit what older Nikon cameras? I would like either a rubber ring like the one found on the D700 finder, or something like the collapsible DK-19 which is listed to fit many modern Nikon DSLR's. In the interim I've just removed the metal ring to protect my glasses, but I wouldn't mind a proper substitute.

Can anyone help me with the correct part or model number?

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg PA :)

It's been an eon since I did anything with these old Nikon bits, but I seem to recall the same rubber eyecup or eye piece ring that fits the F2A Photomic also fits the Nikkormat, Nikon F, F3AF, FE2, etc. I believe that Voigtländer also made eyepiece/diopter correction rings in this size for some of their camera models too.

It should be very easy to find from any older camera store that has a junk bin of miscellaneous Nikon parts, although how to get a specification I'm not sure.

G

It's been an eon since I did anything with these old Nikon bits, but I seem to recall the same rubber eyecup or eye piece ring that fits the F2A Photomic also fits the Nikkormat, Nikon F, F3AF, FE2, etc. I believe that Voigtländer also made eyepiece/diopter correction rings in this size for some of their camera models too.

It should be very easy to find from any older camera store that has a junk bin of miscellaneous Nikon parts, although how to get a specification I'm not sure.

G
Dear Godfrey,

Thank you for the suggestion. I found an oblong rubber eye cup shield from an old dead Ebay Nikkormat purchase and on a whim, I tried it on the F2.

Success! No more grinding my right lens away!

Now I can buy a couple that look similar from Amazon or Ebay and be set for life.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

G
Voigtlander also made those diopter lenses in a -1 strength, exactly what I needed. Nikon never made a -1, FYI if that's what you need.

I bet you have plastic glasses. There lies the problem. You will scratch them even with the rubber eye cup.
Dear Eugen,

Yes, I do have plastic lenses. I realize they scratch easily, but I never scratched them in a decade of using digital cameras. Only since I have actively resumed shooting film in the last year have I damaged my shooting eye lens.

But it's a small price to pay as it really doesn't hamper my vision. Besides, if I had to return to wearing glass eyeglass lenses I'd struggle to lift my chin off of my chest because my vision is so awful and my prescription is so strong! ;)

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Back