Is there a really solid personal photo printer out there?

andrew00

Established
Local time
4:31 PM
Hey,

In many ways I'm a bad photographer. I take pictures, feel happy with some of them, not with most of them, then leave them on a laptop and forget about them.

I'm looking to change this and print more of my photos. I want to start putting them up around the house. The goal is something semi-permanent and rotating. If I take a pic I like, print it, put it up, take it down when I don't like it anymore etc.

I'm looking to get a photo printer for this. The dream would be A3, but A4 is fine if there are quality/price issues.

I was wondering if anyone can recommend printers to check out. I've tried googling but it's a bit smoke and mirrors and marketing so it's hard to know what's actually quality.

Requirements wise - I'm looking for something of a really solid standard.

I don't just want a 'family snaps' type printer that's going to have bad colour or whatever. I'd like something which is of strong enough quality that it really represents the image as shot, gets the colours right etc. Something you could maybe sell or at least would be really proud of on the wall.

It doesn't have to be the absolute highest quality. But I don't want something that's, essentially, a bit crap. I'd like something I can feel really happy with the quality. Something that feels like it could sit alongside my other art work, if that makes sense.

Any thoughts out there? Any recommendations or 'default' options for this? I hope the above gives the essence of the feeling I'm conveying lol.

my answer to your similar questions was Epson P600. Couldn't be happier. I print normally via PS over USB, but its get also more and more used by my kids who print directly via smart phone, works like a charme and the quality of the prints on good photo paper is superb. Both in b/w and color.

You find an extensive review here: http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/epson-surecolor-p600-review/

Jürgen

We recently got a Canon PIXMA iP8750 for reproduction of my wife's paintings. It's amazing with the right paper. Excellent colour reproduction. We also printed some photos, equally excellent quality. Cheap paper produced weaker colours so it's definitely worth getting good stuff (Hahnemuhle for example).

Got it for £200 from John Lewis.

I think most photo quality printers today do very well. I have an older Epson R3000 (now replaced by the P800 if I'm not mistaken) that does excellent prints in color and black and white. These Epsons use pigment inks and you can print on "fine art" paper--that is, high rag content , fiber, non RC photo papers.

While I personally print only on these art papers, I have to admit you can get really good looking prints from today's RC inkjet photo papers. Before I got the Epson, I had used several HP PhotoSmart printers and RC paper. Some of those photos are on the walls of my home right now. Behind glass, non critical viewers don't notice the plastic look of the RC paper. The color, tonality, framing and subject matter of the photos are what most people notice.

Any printer you get will have a learning curve, especially if you've never printed before. If you're serious about making the best quality prints, one of the better Canon or Epson models will suit you best. For casual use, most any of the lower priced dye ink models with RC paper will be satisfactory.

Strongly suggest a good mail order house and let them deal with the inevitable printer issues.

Send them a file, they mail back a print. Guaranteed cheaper.

Mpix mail order for example.

If you're looking to save a little money, look at Epson's non-pigment based line. You lose some extreme archivality, and the ability to use speciality papers, but the quality great and the inks are supposedly better than ever. Should be cheaper than Pigment too which is VERY expensive. I use an R3000 and I love it, but don't let anyone tell you that you can't make a good print with a non-pigment model.

I have Epson C88+ purchased in 2016. Printing weekly. It is way better than Walmart, Costco does. Close to small, expensive custom prints. Inks are very cheap and plenty. It could print on office paper and on very heavy paper (sold in craft stores for scrap books). It is small printer. Maximum is Letter (A4). It was under $100 new, from manufacturer.
I could get real black and white prints from it. Very black and very white...
And it using pigment archival inks from Epson (not very expensive) or proven alternative (very cheap).
https://epson.ca/For-Home/Printers/Inkjet/Epson-Stylus-C88+-Inkjet-Printer/p/C11C617121F
DURABrite® Ultra pigment ink. It is described here and also printers working with it are listed:
https://files.support.epson.com/pdf/sc88__/sc88__du.pdf

It has special printing mode for very smooth, high quality color prints. To me results are often astonishing.
M-E DNG file, letter sized print, Ilford Gallery Gloss paper:

37756978514_b2868b19c9_o.jpg

And it is awesome for BW prints. I could never get correct BW from Costco. They seems to have no BW printing mode. Just same bulk in color for all.
This printer does have BW printing mode:

32162457166_1b2a07bf3c_c.jpg

Scan of the print, file is from M-E BW JPEG1 file and post processing for special effects. Epson archival heavy weight matte paper:

The main thing - I never printed so much and so easily before. It is fun, not so much to learn and it is very cost effective. I'm not doing any profiling, calibration, but if I don't like how it is printed in color, all I have to do is to adjust three sliders in one page menu.

Here's another alternative: Believe it or not, CostCo. I get quite good 20x30" ink-jet prints for $10 each. Staff says they check the printer calibration daily.

Maybe some images then deserve a custom print, but I get a lot of enjoyment from these.

I have an ink-jet photo printer (HP), but I've found it a pain to keep it working. One of the inks runs out, nozzle seems clogged, run-out half the ink in the cartridges trying to clear the clog.

I think the secret to happiness with a photo printer is using it all the time.

I print at home up to 13x56 inch.

I used an Epson R2400 from 2005 until 2015 with no issues. Decided it was getting a bit long in the tooth (over 12,000 large prints equivalent) and bought the Epson P600. No issues again, I'm up to about a thousand prints with it. The inks are excellent, there are paper profiles for nearly any paper available, and the P600 can be used with USB, ethernet, or WiFi connections.

(My old R2400 I gave to a friend and she completed two major projects with it. The stepper motor controlling the paper feed finally died at that point, and wasn't worth repairing.)

I like having the ability to manipulate the printer and paper myself, something you cannot get with any print service. I haven't seen much in way of having to deal with "inevitable printer problems" as long as you keep the printer in use. Printers don't like to be left sitting for too long, that's all. Make a print or two a week and they stay happy for a long, long time.

Of course, if you're not going to make a print or two a week, it's probably more sensible to use a print service anyway.

G

Another vote for the R600/800. Started printing a project of mine on my friend's 800 and now I *need* to buy myself a 600... the colors on good paper are just exquisite.

(AFAIK the 600 & 800 differ only in max paper size)

I had an Epson R1800 that finally died after about 5 years of service. I was most fortunate to spy a price drop/rebate on the Canon Pixma Pro-100. It wound up costing only $150 after the rebate. It was a steal.

Like Godfrey, I'm able to create custom paper sizes. The Stonehenge 8.5 x 25 inches and the mountain pass is 13x19.

Sorry about the reflections.

Attachments

• L1050317.jpg
    L1050317.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 0
  • L1050319.jpg
    L1050319.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 0
I always like the Epsons. My last was an HP. I'm not really happy with anything from HP. Goes back to my IT training. HP was always difficult to work with, so you either learned everything about it and loved it, or struggled with it for a while and went one of the answer sites for help.

Anyway, thanks for the thread andrew00. It has been enlightening since I am thinking strongly about a new printer. A couple of the 13x19 printers look good. First though, I think I will try Costco as was mentioned.

Epson P800 is my choice. It is an awesome printer, is very effient with the ink (I'm still on the first set and have made probably 40 large prints (11X17, 17X22 and handful of 8.5X11). Razor sharp details - waaaaaaayyyyyyy better than my old 4800's.

I quit printing and now send everythi g out.
Casual prints are done through Apple (8x10 and under).
Panda Photo here in Seattle has done Archival quality and larger prints when for clients and myself.
I get a test strip on request and have been very satisfied that it’s cost me less than a good printer, supplies, and space. Not to mention zero failure rate.

I do own an instant printer which is fun for parties.
Also have used a portable Canon 4x6 printer which frankly was surprisingly good at that size.
Canon still has a version of that little printer Available.

Try an electronic service for a3 and smaller. You’ll be satisfied with how little effort and expense it takes to get a nice print from a well edited file.

I quit printing and now send everything out.
I print my own film and digital images. For the digital images, it shouldn't matter who pushes the button, but it just doesn't feel like I made it if I send it out. I also do alternative processes and need a printer for digital negatives. I'm using an Epson 3880. Using John Cone inks and refillable cartridges keeps the cost down.

Back