Is there any truth that a RF takes better photos?

kshapero

South Florida Man
Local time
7:41 PM
Last night I went through probably thousands of photos I have taken over the past 6 years. I shoot with rangefinders, SLR's and digital and the majority of my favorites were taken with RF's. And my absolute best shots were fairly evenly spread between Leicas, Zeiss Ikons and Voigtlanders. Now granted this is my own judgement on things but I was amazed by the results of my findings. The other interesting fact was that I was able to easily remember which rig I used for just about every photo.
Three cheers for RF's.:)

No. I like working with my Leicas, but I did very well with my Olympus SLRs and some of my best work has been shot with medium format SLRs.

Please understand I was surprised by my findings. This thread is not meant to start arguments, although polite ones are always encouraged, but it was meant more of an appreciation of what has worked for me. Others, of course, will differ.

Cameras don't take photos, people take photos. I have a nice Leica IIIf sitting on my desk loaded with film, and so far it hasn't taken a single photo! :)

Please understand I was surprised by my findings. This thread is not meant to start arguments, although polite ones are always encouraged, but it was meant more of an appreciation of what has worked for me. Others, of course, will differ.

Your question should create an interesting thread Akiva!

Personally I think my best images over all have come from my OMs ... logically though when the light has been challenging my results with a rangefinder have been more consistent for sharpness.

I definitely compose better with an SLR IMO.

Agree, Keith. I've been so spoiled by the 100 percent finders of pro slrs over the years that other viewing systems leave me frustrated for composition. The Leica finders work fine for times when you want a looser way of looking at things.

No. I actually think the photos you've taken with RFs aren't good at all.

(PS: I've never seen a single photo of yours but since it seems that we're just making silly statements I might aswell join in.)

It only makes a difference if you're more likely to by carrying your camera because you like it.

Exactly. If I've taken more 'good' pictures with my Leicas than with other cameras, it's for the very simple reason that I've taken more pictures with my Leicas than with other cameras. And I take more pictures with my Leicas because I carry them more...

Cheers,

R.

I love my Leicas. But my new a77 takes better pictures than any camera I have ever owned. Short of FF I think it's hands down the best camera on the market.
But it really boils down to what you are confident with. I have played golf for many years and rarely ever bought new clubs. It's what you are comfortable with and what get the job done.
I good photographer can take a good picture with any camera given to him. But I think we all know that.

cameras don't take pictures, people do.

Really? I tried taking a picture the other day but didn't have a camera with me. Didn't work at all. There are a lot of traffic cameras about town, though, that take pictures without a single person being present.

i have come to use OM's since years and they does the job i like, still learning to use my RF camera for a year , system is new to me, results are very encouraging though.

Really? I tried taking a picture the other day but didn't have a camera with me. Didn't work at all. There are a lot of traffic cameras about town, though, that take pictures without a single person being present.

Really? They just take them at random? You don't need anyone speeding, or running a light, to trigger them?

Sorry: couldn't resist. But 'security' cameras do, indeed, take them at pre-programmed intervals. Even then, someone has to switch them on.

Whereas, as far as I am aware, none of my cameras (or anyone else's) has ever decided to take a picture without being instructed to do so.

Mind you, some cameras take their time. As a friend of mine said of the early Coolpix, trying to photograph his daughters aged 5 and 7, "By the time it gets around to taking a picture, they'll be wearing make-up and going out with boys."

His older daughter is 15 now, and apparently has a boyfriend. I wonder how the boyfriend likes the picture?

Cheers,

R.

Last edited:
Back