Is There Really Such a Thing as a Pocketable Camera?

I was quite surprised when an Instax Wide 300 fit into my hoodie pocket last week. A bit awkward when it turns on of course, but not as impractical as I expected, probably because it's so light for it's size.

This one is the smallest camera I have.
It fits inside my jacket pocket.

View attachment 4827328
Dear p.giannakis,

I have one of those, but it is unfortunately stuck on f/16. The meter indicates a proper exposure but when the shutter is fired the lens ignores the exposure and closes down to f/16 every time.

I read a way to work around this on Mike Eckman's blog but I lack the confidence to attempt the repair myself so it sits unused.

Regards.

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg PA :)

Dear p.giannakis,

I have one of those, but it is unfortunately stuck on f/16. The meter indicates a proper exposure but when the shutter is fired the lens ignores the exposure and closes down to f/16 every time.

I read a way to work around this on Mike Eckman's blog but I lack the confidence to attempt the repair myself so it sits unused.

Regards.

Tim Murphy

I am lucky enough to have the meter needle intact so no need to hack it.
I took the top off and the hack that Mike suggested is doable but you need long nosed tweezers and a lot of patience. The broken needle is not easy to access.

Dear p.giannakis,

Regards.

Tim Murphy

If you wonder how this camera performs, i uploaded a picture in the "post your fim pictures" thread and one in the "Enviromental Portraits" thread.

If you wonder how this camera performs, i uploaded a picture in the "post your fim pictures" thread and one in the "Enviromental Portraits" thread.
Dear p. giannakis,

I know the camera is capable of excellent results when working properly. I have to decide if I want to try repairing mine on my own.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Any plastic P&S like the Contax T4 or Olympus Stylus is pocketable. The Minox GL was great while it worked. Metal cameras even if small like the Rollei are too heavy for pockets. My favourite was the Ricoh GRv but that little lens can extend in my pocket before I was ready to shoot.

I’ve got Rollei 35s, a couple of Olympus XAs, and a recently acquired Minolta p’s (which shoots photos w/ a panoramic, 1:3 aspect ratio). The Rollei 35 camera will fit in a jacket pocket or in the side pockets of cargo pants. The Olympus XA and Minolta p’s will fit into the front pockets of jeans or other pants.

For small, pocketable and powerful it is hard to beat the Pentax Q series. I have the Q-S1. It fits a range of interchangeable lenses. I have the short and long zoom plus the "normal" which is the equivalent of a 50mm on a regular 35mm camera. It takes great photos and even shoots movies.

IMGP1223.JPG

Pentax Q-S1.jpg

How are you liking that RX0?

I recently saw something about them and am very curious.

How is it to use in practice and do you have any images to share or link to?
I seem to have missed this reply back in 2019, so here is a response in 2023! I still use the RX0 all the time, and feel naked without it. It's in my pocket without fail whenever I go out, and I'm considering getting another in case this one stops working. I've never had such a feeling of security when holding a camera, knowing that it is waterproof and impact resistant, with no extending lens.

The only issues are the f4 aperture, and the cover glass can be scratched. It is utterly poor ergonomically, and yet I can take photos anywhere, almost any time. I use it as a personal documentation camera, shooting anything that others would shoot with a cellphone, but the RX0 produces much better quality images. Sometimes I mount it on the hotshoe of my M9 to have easy access to video.

I don't have many RX0 images online, but here are a few:

RX0 - State Library of Victoria by Archiver, on Flickr

RX0 - Looking Down by Archiver, on Flickr

RX0 - Sunset over Altona by Archiver, on Flickr

Dear Board,

If digital cameras are acceptable I think the Canon S series cameras easily fit the pocketable class. I use this little S-90 occasionally and I am always happy with the results it provides.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

IMG_20231208_181133_HDR by Tim Murphy, on Flickr
It's funny, I recently took my S90 out of mothballs and rediscovered just how small it is. The file quality isn't as good as the Panasonic LX10, but it is serviceable when exposure is right. I'm shooting an even tonight, I might even take it with me for fun.

It's funny, I recently took my S90 out of mothballs and rediscovered just how small it is. The file quality isn't as good as the Panasonic LX10, but it is serviceable when exposure is right. I'm shooting an even tonight, I might even take it with me for fun.
Dear Archiver,

I have an extended family Christmas party to go to tomorrow. I literally had to find my S-90 as I hadn't used it for months. I found it and my Canon G-11 in a forgotten camera bag. After months of sitting both batteries are still fully charged.

Now I have to decide which one to take? They are both kind of small so maybe I'll take both!

Regards,

Tim Murphy

For small, pocketable and powerful it is hard to beat the Pentax Q series. I have the Q-S1. It fits a range of interchangeable lenses. I have the short and long zoom plus the "normal" which is the equivalent of a 50mm on a regular 35mm camera. It takes great photos and even shoots movies.

View attachment 4830016

If I erred in posting digital I apologize.

Dear Board,

If digital cameras are acceptable I think the Canon S series cameras easily fit the pocketable class. I use this little S-90 occasionally and I am always happy with the results it provides. My only surviving camera with a CCD sesnsor. Also love the Hamm's beer can in this photo

Regards,

Tim Murphy

IMG_20231208_181133_HDR by Tim Murphy, on Flickr
Another vote for the Canon S90. I usually use mine with a long neckstrap, can keep it in a front shirt pocket. A great choice for strolling around urban areas, especially places known for the quality of their pickpockets, for example, Barcelona or Arbatskaya district of Moscow

Back