Just got a Barnack Leica!

Chris, my first visit to this thread and I've spent a happy hour browsing (and admiring) your photos. It's great to see quality bw. So many excellent images and they all hang together beautifully.

I can also recommend the Industar 61 53mm f/2.8. Dirt cheap and very sharp across the frame, with good contrast.
40414693094_a3e832228a_b.jpg

boardwalk detail, Long Reef beach, Sydney 2018 #419 by lynnb's snaps, on Flickr

Nice image. I actually have an Industar-22 on the way that should be here this afternoon. I bought it from someone on Photrio for $25, including shipping! That lens is a 50mm f3.5 collapsible. It is a Tessar design, and I think your Industar 61 is too.

I'm looking forward to playing with it. Only thing I am worried about is focusing accuracy since I'm going to use it on Leicas, not on Soviet cameras.

barnack-collection-1.jpg

barnack-collection-2.jpg

So, over the last few months, my collection has really ballooned! I really fell in love with these screwmount Leicas after O.C. gave me the first one.

Now I have the IIIf Black Dial he gave me, a IIIf Red Dial, and a IIIg. And 11 lenses. I accumulated this stuff by trolling eBay and the RFF classifieds for bargains, and got all of it pretty cheaply.

......beware, Ltm gear is climbing fairly rapidly in price. Quality holds Value. Seriously though, I think a 28mm Hektor is called for.

......beware, Ltm gear is climbing fairly rapidly in price. Quality holds Value. Seriously though, I think a 28mm Hektor is called for.

I've been lucky to get most of mine at good prices. A 28mm is the last thing I need to complete my system, but the prices of them are high. Not just for the Leica 28s, but the Nikon and Cosina-Voigtlanders are very expensive too. Canon 28's are easier to find and less costly, but every one i see has haze or is beaten up badly.

Plus, I'll need a 28mm finder. The Walz finder and Leica VIOOH only go down to 35mm. There's a 28mm adapter for the VIOOH but it costs a fortune, and would be cheaper for me to buy a dedicated 28mm finder.

Now that's what I call filling out a kit! The 28mm adapter for the VIOOH was hard to find, but I did manage to get one at a decent price. But I don't have a 28mm lens in LTM. Just not sure I want to.

Been looking at different sellers plus eBay, and everywhere their inventories are way down on LTM gear. Lots of bored buyers I suppose, plus the stimulus probably prodded a few of them to get that lens or accessory they've been wanting. I'm just trying to figure out if I want to replace the crappy Elmar 50/2.8 I got with the same, or maybe a Summicron. Either way it has to be collapsible, and A39 filter size.

Keep them Barnacks rolling!

PF

Now that's what I call filling out a kit! The 28mm adapter for the VIOOH was hard to find, but I did manage to get one at a decent price. But I don't have a 28mm lens in LTM. Just not sure I want to.

Been looking at different sellers plus eBay, and everywhere their inventories are way down on LTM gear. Lots of bored buyers I suppose, plus the stimulus probably prodded a few of them to get that lens or accessory they've been wanting. I'm just trying to figure out if I want to replace the crappy Elmar 50/2.8 I got with the same, or maybe a Summicron. Either way it has to be collapsible, and A39 filter size.

Keep them Barnacks rolling!

PF

Yeah, I've noticed that its hard to find LTM lenses now, anda lot of what's out there is priced really high. It took me months of looking to collect the stuff I have without paying a fortune for it.

What's wrong with your 50mm Elmar? I have one and I love it. Its a little soft at f2.8, but gets very sharp at f4. I think its sharper in the center stopped down than the Canon 50mm f1.8 (a VERY sharp lens), though the Canon is slightly sharper at the edges.

Yeah, I've noticed that its hard to find LTM lenses now, anda lot of what's out there is priced really high. It took me months of looking to collect the stuff I have without paying a fortune for it.

What's wrong with your 50mm Elmar? I have one and I love it. Its a little soft at f2.8, but gets very sharp at f4. I think its sharper in the center stopped down than the Canon 50mm f1.8 (a VERY sharp lens), though the Canon is slightly sharper at the edges.

Let's just say it was not as advertised, and I didn't realize that until it was too late to do anything about it. Depending on how much I can spend will determine if I get another Elmar, or a Summicron. I'm still leaning toward the Elmar 50/2.8, but the Summicrons are more plentiful in like condition.

PF

Nice image. I actually have an Industar-22 on the way that should be here this afternoon. I bought it from someone on Photrio for $25, including shipping! That lens is a 50mm f3.5 collapsible. It is a Tessar design, and I think your Industar 61 is too.

I'm looking forward to playing with it. Only thing I am worried about is focusing accuracy since I'm going to use it on Leicas, not on Soviet cameras.

I re-shimmed I-22 for M once. Not difficult.

On M4-2:

barnack-collection-1.jpg

barnack-collection-2.jpg

So, over the last few months, my collection has really ballooned! I really fell in love with these screwmount Leicas after O.C. gave me the first one.

Now I have the IIIf Black Dial he gave me, a IIIf Red Dial, and a IIIg. And 11 lenses. I accumulated this stuff by trolling eBay and the RFF classifieds for bargains, and got all of it pretty cheaply.

Now don’t blame the GAS attack on me :D

I am very pleased you are enjoying the LTM equipment and not surprised you are filling in some holes. Love the tonality in your photo of the male cat in the bookstore.

Keep clicking Chris...

Now don’t blame the GAS attack on me :D

I am very pleased you are enjoying the LTM equipment and not surprised you are filling in some holes. Love the tonality in your photo of the male cat in the bookstore.

Keep clicking Chris...

Thanks, O.C., I've been having a lot of fun with this stuff! I havent posted any new stuff in a while because my film scanner died and I'm still playing around with making things work to 'scan' my film with a camera since I can't afford a new scanner. Once I get that all worked out, I have about 30 rolls of film I've shot recently to scan and put online!

I always have one of the Leicas on me at all times when I am out and about.

It’s the kind of kit you look at in the morning....ponder which camera(s) and lens(es) you take out...by noon you’ve started to narrow it down. Then...uh oh what film? Then a change of lenses...maybe add in a filter...oh wait, the 135 too...oh, and maybe the tripod...now it’s 3 in the afternoon. Time for a break, maybe lunch. Around five, you decide the leather strap on the one camera needs to be replaced by a wrist strap. At six, you start looking for the camera bag for “light trips”. At 7pm, the sun is setting....and you’ve decided what gear to take out. tomorrow. :). (Been there Do that)

Really enjoyed this thread. Now I'm looking for someone who owns an actual SOOHN hood for a Hektor 28mm lens who will measure it for me (in MMs) so I can make a near copy. I will need the height and diameter.

Back