Kodak Medalist service and conversion.

Einstein

Established
Local time
9:45 PM
Well I have decided to take the plunge on a full conversion update on this camera. An extremely awkward machine to hold but I simply can not resist the desire to see a negative from this beast in the flesh. It will be fun to do a test comparison with my 6x9 Zeiss Opton Super Ikonta. Tripods compulsive……..

Dan Daniels converted mine. I actually have no problem with the camera shape personally. I carry it in the bottom half of the case, which gives it a little grip and doesn’t add much bulk.

Yes, I have Dan working on mine as well. I am intending to use it for black and white that I process and wet print myself. I have a UV filter but will want to find a yellow and lens hood for her.
Are you impressed with the image quality of the Kodak lens, some of the examples I have seen are simply astounding ???

I had one of the last Ken Ruth converted. The lenses are from the height of Kodak's powers, post WWII, when they were the highest quality optical company (left) in the world. This carried them into the 60s. Unlike modern medium format Zeiss/Mamiya you're getting a really smooth yet sharp rendition that still has a nice pop. The 1950s Commercial Ektars were great (shutters, not so much).

It's really a study in reverse ergonomics, making the camera as clumsy and awkward as possible. When you press the shutter you are pushing a lever attached to a pivoting ball head (your hand) and need to keep shutter speeds higher than normal lest you get shake. The magnified rangefinder is amazing if you can sight what it is centered on.

Personally I think it was the German emigres who formulated and ground the glass while some diesel mechanics did the body.

Have fun. Sometimes I like making photography more difficult but not all the time ;-p

Had one for a few years , picture quality is hard to improve on :) ! Bought a few modified rolls from Blue Moon machine ( excellent work)
and simply rerolled my own afterwards . You had to wonder if the person(s) who designed it ever used it ? Peter

I've had GAS for the Medalist for a while, but I'm turned off by the 620 film plus I have a GW690. But it's such a fine camera.

After seeing the article from Rockwell it became obvious to me that I had to get one of these cameras. The images in the article are absolutely MAGNIFICENT.

After seeing the article from Rockwell it became obvious to me that I had to get one of these cameras. The images in the article are absolutely MAGNIFICENT.

I hadn’t seen his review of the Medalist before. Ken really does a good job of photographing cameras and lenses. His reviews and photos of older equipment is what attracted me to his site long ago.

I also have a Medalist II that was converted to 120 by Ken Ruth (Photography on Bald Mountain). I hadn't heard of Dan Daniels before seeing this thread, but I'm happy to learn that other techs are still working on them & doing conversions.

Just FYI, Dan Daniels also converts Kodak Chevron cameras. Maybe not considered on a par with the Medalist, but still a lovely camera that I've been tempted by.

Well Dan has just given me a price of $400 to service and convert the camera. I told him I want to recover it and he suggested Griptac as it is thinner than other coverings. Apparently regular coverings do not go on the back cover properly. I have Griptacon my Zeiss Super Ikonta and the stuff is brilliant for holding an odd shaped camera.
Got a yellow filter and a lens hood for a mere $12 all I need now is a decent leather case for it, but I am not holding my breath on that find.
So after a $50 purchase price and this for $462 I should have a super taker of Black and White negatives in my collection.

Just FYI, Dan Daniels also converts Kodak Chevron cameras. Maybe not considered on a par with the Medalist, but still a lovely camera that I've been tempted by.

Between this thread and another over on Photrio, I was convinced to give a Chevron a try. TBH, it's so good it is making me question my Rolleiflex 2.8E. I'm not going to give up the Rollei, ever, because it is a very special camera, but hoo boy, the lens on that Chevron is just tack sharp, and the transition from in focus to out of focus is smooth like butter, as are the out of focus areas. About my only beefs with it are the manual cocking shutter and the no automatic double-exposure prevention. I just had mine CLA'd here in DC at ProPhoto, and they made the camera feel like new in operation.

My Medalist II is working great for me. I've only had it a short time but have shot about 5 rolls so far. I find it quite easy to respool from 120 to 620 and wouldn't consider paying to have the camera converted to 120. It takes me about 1 minute per roll.

I also have a converted Medalist II. I love the quality of the lens and just overall metal/mechanical beauty of it, but the shape is a bit awkward and I find the shutter button requires a bit of force to actuate, so I'm always worried about camera shake. I'd love to hear more about the Chevron, especially as the online reviews are decidedly mixed.

Back