latest additions to your library

I've bought a lot of photography books lately, but my favorite by far is Uncommon Places by Stephen Shore. I keep going back to his photos again and again. He's pretty much the final word on colour photography composition.

Last edited:
The new Steidl edition of Robert Frank's "The Americans" is a beauty. Highly recommended, if not already owned or just want better reproductions.
I'm finding "The Genius of Photography", although enjoyable, just too much to get through. Maybe more than I really want to know, my own failing.
LJS

"I never wanted to be famous" by Steve Barbour, medical doctor and Leica user. This book is really a labor of love over the ten years that Dr. Barbour took these pictures of young children. It is a study of the human spirit in the face of daunting odds - serious infectious diseases. Great to see excellent documentary work from an amateur photographer.

http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/186890

I recently got Harry Callahan, National Gallery; Walker Evans "The Hungary Eye", and Winogrand's "Public Relations" for the grand total of $16. Wish I could get "The Animals" for that cheap!

"1/8 sec." from Jim Rakete. Portraits taken with an old large format camera at 1/8 or longer. Very nice pictures, i just love it.
It's quite new and I wanted it, so i had to pay 68 EUR.

I got a copy of The Americans a couple of wks ago
Have on order Niagara as its not in print so ill have to wait on that one, also the wife will be ordering American Surfaces (Stephen Shore) and Beneath the Roses (Crewdson) tomorrow. Big bonus she works in a book shop and gets good discount!

"beneath the roses" is HUGE, and not printed very well. i like "twilight", though.

i got the steidl reprint, too. and one of the last copies of "a shimmer of possibility". :D

thanks...

thanks...

:D:D:D
"I never wanted to be famous" by Steve Barbour, medical doctor and Leica user. This book is really a labor of love over the ten years that Dr. Barbour took these pictures of young children. It is a study of the human spirit in the face of daunting odds - serious infectious diseases. Great to see excellent documentary work from an amateur photographer.

http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/186890

thank you...nice to stumble upon this. Steve

Westerbeck and Meyerowitz, "Bystander: A History of Street Photography". Large, semi-academic tome. Read it in 24 hours. Fun, although like any 'survey' attempt, there are gaps I'm sure and places where the analysis is uneven. But, still, highly recommended, because like any good 'critique', it raises one's level of "informed appreciation" of the work it discusses.

Helen Levitt (because it is so sublime)

Robert Frank: The Americans (as a compliment to my 20-year old copy of Jacob Holdt's American Pictures)

-j.

This month's (bi-monthly) issue of Lens Work (I have a subscription) - it's the only photography mag/book I read - it offers me a look at people's work; different types of work (not just street or landscape or abstract alone...) and it has a good read and there's nary an advert save for their own items (books/cd's)

Dave

Amazon.ca finally shipped Fred Herzog's Vancouver Photographs. I'm very excited for that to arrive. I also ordered Lee Friedlander's Cherry Blossom Time in Japan. I hope they arrive today, but I'll probably have to wait until next week.

Michael Smith: A Visual Journey--beautiful and unusual, very evocative large format work, excellent reproductions (I think, never having seen the originals).
LJS

Leica Collector's Guide,
Leica Pocket Book,
Leica Accessories Pocket Book,
The Greatest Photographs of World War II, Neil Kagan and Stephen Hyslop,

And a few weeks ago I picked up "Slightly out of Focus" by Robert Capa.

Looking to buy "Darkness Visible" by Charles Eugene Sumners this month.

Back