Leica 50/1.4 summilux Asph.

I've been shooting the ASPH over the Summicron more and more lately- so much so that I sold one of the Summicrons.

first roll TRI-X + Leica M6 in Shanghai

first roll TRI-X + Leica M6 in Shanghai

So, I have been lurking around enough, shot my first roll with my first Leica and made a few initial scans from some frames of TX400 with the 50 1.4 ASPH.
All frames shot wide open @ ISO 3200. The darkest light was with the workers break at 1/15.
That 50mm has NO distortion and absolutely ZILCH flare or ghosting!!!
I am very impressed, how these two things look, compared to my now sold Nikon 50 1.4D and to the 50 1.4G, which I keep for my Nikon bodies.
The Nikon 50 1.4 AF-D has been a ghost machine, shot under these circumstances.

The images are scanned @ 3200dpi, sharpened in Lightroom with secret sauce and exported for web without further post processing.

1 "F430" at Ferrari | Maserati Salon in Shanghai - Tomorrow Sqare
TX400_003.jpg

2 "welcome" at Ferrari | Maserati Salon in Shanghai - Tomorrow Sqare
TX400_004.jpg

3 "grand opening" construction site Shanghai - Tomorrow Sqare
TX400_009.jpg

4 "S" fallen decorations at construction site Shanghai - Tomorrow Sqare
TX400_011.jpg

5 "workers midnight break" construction site Shanghai - Tomorrow Sqare
TX400_012.jpg

6 "night delivery" Shanghai - Huaihai Rd. after 01:00am
TX400_028.jpg

7 "last frame of the day" back in the apartment
TX400_029.jpg

Tell me, what you think.

Please also have a look at my website, as I will upload more film shots - despite the scanning, I love to shoot film now ;-)
I find, I keep more of the shots, than with digital - strange huh?

Last edited:
Excellent shot,menos!

I'm from Shanghai too, but no such nice photo as well as yours.

Share some.

Attachments

• APSH5014016.jpg
    APSH5014016.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 1
Thanks David. I really need to find more time to shoot these days and share more.
Where do you process your film in Shanghai?

I am very pleased with Yi Qiang Imaging in the Xietu Lu/ Luban Lu Camera Mall. They really have a good hand for developing and I always got first class quality.

Thanks David. I really need to find more time to shoot these days and share more.
Where do you process your film in Shanghai?

I am very pleased with Yi Qiang Imaging in the Xietu Lu/ Luban Lu Camera Mall. They really have a good hand for developing and I always got first class quality.

Do you process your B&W negative by yourself or in YiQian?
YiQian is really a professional photo relative store and some girl in it is very beautiful.I bought film in it.

But the traffic to XingGuang Camera Mall for me is not convenient,usually I send my film to a KODAK photo store near my home. If I care some photo very much or I need to process slide ,then I go to GeLin in WuLuMuQi Road for stable quality. Recent years I always worry about the process quality of negative,because it's cheap and easy-use.

Some time I process B&W by myself,but It's tired and my wife doesn't like the smell,I have to stop it.

I bought a scanner NIKON COOLSCAN 5000ED for LEICA,for the high image quality.

Do you process your B&W negative by yourself or in YiQian?
YiQian is really a professional photo relative store and some girl in it is very beautiful.I bought film in it.

I bought a scanner NIKON COOLSCAN 5000ED for LEICA,for the high image quality.

David, I let YiQian do the processing. I got a second hand R-D1 some some days ago and this little camera really hooked me ;-)

I envy you on the Coolscan. Where did you buy it in Shanghai?

Back to the thread topic:

_EPS4142.jpg

"E"

EPSON R-D1, Leica 50mm Summilux M ASPH, ISO 1600, monochrome JPG

Just got a chrome version today. Probably the only new piece in Singapore right now!!! I love it!!! it's sharp!!!

Here's some test pics of my daughter
4238761687_d2f2f8eda3.jpg

cropped
4239534260_9ea1b1c4c8.jpg

Just got a chrome version today. Probably the only new piece in Singapore right now!!! I love it!!! it's sharp!!!

Damn, I have been looking for one in this part of the world too. The 2nd pix looks nice, I just love the colours.

Couple of quick questions. Can the tab be removed and if so, who has had it done? Reversable? It's annoying me :)

Why is it there ;) Seriously...

Couple of quick questions. Can the tab be removed and if so, who has had it done? Reversable? It's annoying me :)

Why is it there ;) Seriously...

If you find a solution, please send me your removed tab, as I cut possibly use it on my 90 Elmarit, as lenses without tab annoy me these days ;-)

The 50 Lux, I do not focus with taking the tab between index finger and thumb of my left hand, as seen on many pictures of people, focussing a Leica M.

It is way to sticky for that.
I take the focus ring with my index finger and thumb as with lenses without tab and ADDITIONALLY lay my middle finger's second segment into the groove of the tab.

This way I have MUCH more precision and a more rigid fine tuning, when focussing wide open.

I love the tabs! (at first usage, coming from Nikon AF lenses, they were awkward and always in the way)

Nice!

That looks familiar. Mine was shot in 06 on a 35 Cron / Asph, Kodachrome 64:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1111/3172452789_a226e41286_o.jpg

Which would make it the 3rd, I have seen in a short while ;-)

Steve Huff has uploaded a similar portrait of his wife (gesture and webbing) on his site, when I visited a few month ago.

It was so similar, I first thought this effect has been achieved by some kind of art filter in photoshop.

My apologies to the three photographers then for such a thought. :)

Back