Leica battery or generic for M9?

nightfly

Well-known
Local time
10:59 PM
Bought a used M9 recently. Only other digital I've used consistently is a GRD III where the battery lasts forever if I shoot or not. The M9 battery doesn't last very long even if not used.

Want to buy a second battery, any reason to buy a $130 leica battery rather than a $20 generic?

Not concerned about amount of shots as much as time between uses as I don't really shoot more than 20 shots in an outing but I want the camera ready when I want to shoot.

Whatever it deserves the generic batteries simply don't work more than a few times, as you will see if you search. I tried anyway sever different ones. All useless in no time. DOn't your time, just find a used M8 or M9 battery, or spring for new. Used are usually just fine.

I use the originals. Actually, I get pretty good use out of mine unless I leave the camera turned on. Over the past couple of years I have picked up used ones whenever I find them on KEH. They are less expensive and I am getting great life out of all of them.

The more you read on Leica digital Ms and batteries, the more you'd be convinced to stick with the Leica brand batteries.

Machines don't deserve anything other than taking care of your investment. They have no feelings or emotion. I had both and got a year out of the generic. IMO $130 for a battery is a ripoff when Nikon can supply high capacity batteries for their cameras for $15 to $45.

Machines don't deserve anything other than taking care of your investment. They have no feelings or emotion. I had both and got a year out of the generic. IMO $130 for a battery is a ripoff when Nikon can supply high capacity batteries for their cameras for $15 to $45.

And how many batteries does Nikon sell in comparison to Leica? Economy of scale could be a factor here.

Maybe?? :D

The simple answer is buy a good generic through B&H or a reliable retailer. You'll only be out a few dollars and if you like it you've saved a hundred or so dollars. If it quits in a year or six months you've not spent much at all. What will you lose? Leica tried to scare people because they wanted to sell high margin accessories and that's it. Generic batteries work in virtually every digital Slr with no problems.

Whatever it deserves the generic batteries simply don't work more than a few times, as you will see if you search. I tried anyway sever different ones. All useless in no time. DOn't your time, just find a used M8 or M9 battery, or spring for new. Used are usually just fine.
My generic batteries for M8 have worked fine for a few years now. What some may consider a problem with the batteries is that the battery level indicator on this camera is not compatible with the generic batteries. This is an attempt by Leica to close the ecosystem and force their users to buy genuine, overpriced batteries. This is something that Leica bashers probably should bash Leica about. :D

Some generics are bad, some may be somewhat dangerous. If you face a hazard with an original battery, at least the manufacturer/warranty should cover it...

The fact is that you typically pay a lot of extra money for genuine batteries, not just in case of Leica. Depending on the product this markup alone may easily amount to about 10-20% on top of the total price for a single extra battery that you pretty much need to get. For a new Leica, it is fortunately less than that.

The simple answer is buy a good generic through B&H or a reliable retailer. You'll only be out a few dollars and if you like it you've saved a hundred or so dollars. If it quits in a year or six months you've not spent much at all. What will you lose? Leica tried to scare people because they wanted to sell high margin accessories and that's it. Generic batteries work in virtually every digital Slr with no problems.

I suppose if you have a battery melt down with your economic Nikon it probably isn't too big a deal. Lots of them out there for very reasonable prices. :)

Unfortunately I would prefer to avoid that chance with my Leica. I'm sure you understand.

Bought a used M9 recently. Only other digital I've used consistently is a GRD III where the battery lasts forever if I shoot or not. The M9 battery doesn't last very long even if not used.

Want to buy a second battery, any reason to buy a $130 leica battery rather than a $20 generic?

Not concerned about amount of shots as much as time between uses as I don't really shoot more than 20 shots in an outing but I want the camera ready when I want to shoot.

It seems there is a chip inside that tells the charging unit how to charge and tells the camera what the remaining capacity is. The camera evidently also stores some info there too - once the low threshold is attained. This is all critical.
Choose an original.

Just imagine. You don't want the shutter or the store procedure failing halfway a cycle :eek:

I used generic batteries with my m8 but couldn't get any of them to work properly with my m9, I'm all for using generic batteries in my other cameras but not with my m9 its already not the most reliable camera!

With such things it always seems to be a case of ymmv - some people have good experiences with generic batteries, others not so good. I fall firmly into the latter camp and based on my bad experiences I only use genuine batteries now as I feel it's false economy for me to buy generics. They might be cheaper at point of purchase, but if I have problems with them or they need replacing significantly more often than leica batteries (which have been my experinces) then the cumulative costs to me offset the attractive initial saving.
But, ymmv...

Generic batteries work in virtually every digital Slr with no problems.

This is what I'm thinking. I just got an M8 and although the camera is beautiful, the battery is horrible. I don't really feel like dishing out big bucks for a friggin' battery. Damnit.

The simple answer is buy a good generic through B&H or a reliable retailer .... Generic batteries work in virtually every digital Slr with no problems.

+1 I've used both "good" generics and OEMs in my M8, M9, and MM, no issues in 5+ years of use. All the generics I've used support the in-camera battery meter, btw. I've noticed that it takes several use cycles (charge fully/exhaust fully/recharge) for the batteries to deliver typical performance, whether OEM or good generic.

Can you post a link to the deller of your generic batteries, Mike? I have two Leica batteries, and I want to have two back-up batteries for long trips.

I suppose if you have a battery melt down with your economic Nikon it probably isn't too big a deal. Lots of them out there for very reasonable prices. :)

Unfortunately I would prefer to avoid that chance with my Leica. I'm sure you understand.

Oem batteries arent immune from problems. Nikon had a batch of batteries recalled because a couple caught fire. They were for the D800/E.

How many aftermarket batteries for the M9 do you actually know of that melted? I don't mean something you read about on a forum, how many first hand experiences do you know of? There are a lot of non truths on the Internet. Folks on the Internet like a lot of drama it seems.

I've used generics in every digicam I've owed in the past ten + years and never felt they had less life or had an issue of any kind.

I have all OEM Leica batteries—one came with the camera, bought another at the same time, got a third and a second charger used from someone who'd just sold his M8 and sold me his spares. They are all working just fine even though they were expensive. I get what seems a very reasonable lifespan per charge with them, somewhere in the 500-700 exposures range.

I don't need any more for the M9 just at the moment, but if a good third party supplier is available I'd like to know who that is. I read a lot of negative stories about bad third party batteries in the M9. I use third party batteries (Wasabi brand) in the Sony A7 and Leica X successfully.

G

Can you post a link to the deller of your generic batteries, Mike? I have two Leica batteries, and I want to have two back-up batteries for long trips.

It's the Pearstone brand, Raid which at B&H is now Watson, I believe. Please note that my positive experience appears to be the minority view.

Thanks, Mike. The Leica CEO told me this morning that generic batteries should be fine for Leica cameras, bu also told me that he does not know much at all about batteries.

Back