Leica DS Film Advance Throw

Rich1950

Local time
10:23 AM
I found a clean DS but have never operated one before. The camera is being sold by a pro dealer who contracted out an overhaul. The film advance moves to cover the film counter. On the second stroke it does not advance quiet as far just reaching the edge of the counter.

Additionally the advance has more tension and less smoothness than a 2003 MP I once had. “Is this normal?”

Smoothness is hard to judge as the throw is short. Additionally I had the camera in hand a short time.

I re-contacted the shop to get more info. During the repair of the shutter the tech noted some finder fungus which was cleaned. However very slight etching was noticed.

I never noticed anything wrong in the finder on short review. The counter man on second call back did.

So this is a very clean 816xxx DS with perfect vulcanite, a few faint meter marks on leading edge of top plate, perfect back door except for an eraser size rub mark, and fairly clean bottom plate. No strap marks or other marks on body. Range finder in alignment. Price $1700.

Run away or purchase?

The film advance on my DS M3 covers about 1/2 of the frame counter window on the first throw, and about 1/4 of the film counter with the next throw. $1700 for an M3 that has been CLA'd is fair price.

Jim B.

I'll relate my experience with my inherited DS.
I'd never handled a Leica before so it was totally new to me. It didn't seem to be working correctly so I took it to the local camera shop to get their take on it. They tried it, cocking the shutter and firing, and said it had some problems but could be fixed.
I sent it away for a CLA, hoping the nice vulcanite would remain intact. Like the one you're looking at it had a few meter marks on the top, nothing serious though.
When it came back the vulcanite had been replaced and I was told it was because it fell apart when the CLA was done.
I shot a roll of film, got it developed and was satisfied the camera worked OK.
Since I don't shoot film, I put it away in my cabinet.
One day, I took it out to exercise the shutter as I had read this was a good thing to do every once in a while.
After cocking and firing it a number of times, it jammed.
Rather than force the issue, I took it to another repairman whom I'd found in the mean time and had repaired a Canon for me.
He had told me he trained at Solms.
When it came back this time, it was a totally different camera.
This repairman told me that the first one had tried to replace the DS mechanism with a SS and it wasn't successful.
He repaired the SS and it is as smooth as butter now.
I think the price is fair, same as Jim B. posted, but, I'd also warn that you may have to put more money into it in the future to keep it in tip-top shape.

Regarding the length of the advance lever throw: The Leica M advance lever, whether SS or DS, is additive, meaning you can actually advance it in strokes even shorter than that of the DS--if you want to. You could for example give it three short strokes, or four . . . I just got out my M2 and gave it 21 tiny ones before it finally clicked home.

So what this means is that if you give the DS advance lever its full motion on the first stroke, then the second stroke will be shorter, just because it doesn't need any more winding than that to be fully wound. Just for fun, try advancing it maybe half its full arc on your first stroke. Then the second stroke can be as long as the first stroke, and there will probably be room for a third. Play with it, until you understand the action of the additive wind.

Back