Leica M - Post your Portraits

Leica M - Post your Portraits

It is very difficult to keep your mind active during the winter at this time of year, so I am exploring the market for alternative portraiture using the "new to me" M3 and film.

I have tried the typical studio portraiture with a 3-light setup, backgrounds and Nikon DSLR's...but they are a dime a dozen and do not have any character, at least IMHO. To try and compete professionally, I would need a studio ($$$$), advertising ($$$$), and a lot of luck just to do something that is not really a lot of fun.

So, does anyone have any portraits using a Lecia M-body and film (or digital if using the M8) that would illustrate an alternative approach to portraiture?

Last edited:
That's a great photo.

But if you are going to compete professionally, it's going to take a lot of money. At the high end, that is. At the low end, I suspect grainy B&W portraits would not be what this demographic would be looking for. Think K-Mart Portrait "studio."

Yes, I agree...

At the "high-end", I am curious about digital negatives that can be used for platinum printing.:eek:

At the "low-end", I am thinking of available light indoors and/or outdoors. Typical poses and light treatment are the most obvious variables I am curious about at the moment.

Also, what film(s) would be better for portraits such as these?

Last edited:
Ahhh...yes, those are very nice! Which brings me to the other question that I need to answer fairly soon....

Which lens to choose for those focal lengths!

Thanks,

I like Ms for portrait stuff, it's kinky. =) available light is the way to go with Ms, in my eyes. anywhere, anytime.
I haven't used my M4 with studio and studiolighting so far though.

3027472030_127c15e8d8.jpg

2904235941_78a087192a.jpg

2905163668_f87881c52c.jpg

3059926852_3a11c3c78c.jpg

3059545154_cf5f1825cd.jpg

Last edited:
More

First one is Konica 50 1.2, second is Zeiss 21 F4.5, thrid is summicron 50 f2

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Each focal length brings something to a portrait. I personally prefer portraits with normal (50mm) - to normal wides (35mm, 28mm).

Here's a couple with a 50mm (the first is with M2, coll. Summicron, Neopan 1600, HC110B and the second with MP, Summilux 50 Asph., HP5, Rodinal, the last one MP, Summilux 50 Asph., TriX, Rodinal) :

Untitled by Alkis Plithas, on Flickr

Blue Smoke by Alkis Plithas, on Flickr

Dr and Dr K (II) by Alkis Plithas, on Flickr

Back