Leica M Rechrome?

I seem to recall that the instagram user @marc_gogogo will repaint Leica M6.
It was stated in an answer to a user question a while back.
Maybe ask him how he would assess your situation.
Anyway, I am inclined to agree with Dralowid. Corrosion on strap lugs indicates very poor storage conditions.

Hi all,
thank you for your input.
But what I am unable to understand is why, why, having the camera been bought in 1997, little used and having been stored in the same place, everything appeared after the change of -say- container, from original box to Leica dedicated leather pouch for camera + 2 lenses. I would like to know what did contain (or does contain) that velvet-like interior which did so much harm to camera lugs and top plate. And there were silica gel bags inside. So do not know what was in that pouch/case
Best regards

Leather is not a good material to store cameras for many reasons which has been covered in detail in other online discussions over the years. I would assume a chemical glue was used to adhere the velvet to the leather, probably not archival. Also if not used in an airtight environment silica gel will just absorb moisture from outside the bag and perhaps have caused the opposite effect of what you intended.

Thank you for reply, Bag was 14842. like this one
https://www.ebay.com/itm//124389684445

but what puzzles more is that I have a IIIf that has been not for decades but for years in another leather bag, exactly like this one
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363124401981
with no problems
So to make a long story short, once I search for appropiate top and bottom covers plus strap lugs, better store in a ziplock bag...the posher the container, the worse for the contents, is it?
Best regards

It is impossible to guess the specific reason for your exact situation, but the M6 is infamous for the pitting phenomenon but who knows what exactly triggered it in this case.

I have seen many LTM Leica's kept in leather cases with severe green oxydation, and I have seen others that looked like new.

The short lesson - don't keep your cameras and lenses in leather - they absorb humidity and are a great place to live for fungus and mould.

I wouldn't not use a zipper bag for long term storage either. It seems to be best to have som air around the camera. Check out the ongoing storage discussion for ideas: https://rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=172870

Thank you for the links.
In the 35+ years I've been collecting cameras the golden rule for storage seems to be: ziplock bags and canvas-plastic low spec bags (such as the ones from Zenits) or cardboard boxes rock.
Leather-posh velvet-lined combination bags, kill cameras
And all them had silica bags inside
Cameras that I bought non working, put in a bag or box and left on my cave's floor for years waiting for parts, look as new. The ones cared for, stored at room temperature, in leather-clad, velvet-trimmed bags, develop or fungus (not yet) or zinc rust.

Found a 2nd hand top plate in Germany for about 150 euro+13 shipping. Will change it as soon as it arrives and will try to do something with the old one, at least, experimenting and try to remove impurities.
Best regards

2 years ago I posted the state of my M6 here

Now it's in Wetzlar. New top cover being fitted. I think they have spares available in the new specification (brass), same as "new" M6. Have been warned that repair might take as long as 6 months. So onces it's finised will update.
Best regards and Merry Christmas

Excellent! This is very interesting. Good luck with the repair and glad Leica is accommodating you. Would love to see some after pictures when the camera returns.

Been thinking of having my gunsmith do one of my M's just for the heck of it.

I’ve had several guns electroless nickel plated which is a satin finish and quite nice looking and also had hard chrome with a brushed finish which is beautiful. I’ve had several friends have guns hard chromed with bead blasted finish which is very satin.

Unfortunately the company that did mine is gone but there are quite a few places doing excellent work.

I think if I were to do something like this I’d have electroless nickel applied.

There’s a local company that does Cerakote and I’ve considered having a camera done in camo Cerakote. Cerakote is almost indestructible, inexpensive and is applied with an airbrush so you can make your camera into a work of art. There are two kinds of Cerakote, one that’s baked on and one that cures at room temp. The non baked version can be used on polymer and leather surfaces with no problems. Both types are very durable.

That does not look repairable/replateable to me. If I didn't want to do the expense of buying a new top (and strap lugs, and any other such corroded/damaged parts), I'd look into disassembling, sand-blasting lightly to make it smooth, and doing a black lacquer paint job with white lettering. This is how my M6 of eons past was finished: It looked great and hid all manner of surface defects.

G

Back