Leica M5 users

kajabbi

Local time
2:33 PM
Since I am hopelessly in love with the M5, I was wondering just how many others there are out there who fit into the same "hopeless" catagory. I started in 1951 with a IIIF, went to an M3 in 1954 and then finally bought the M6. Got a great buy on an M5 and my life changed. I sold my M6s and the more I use the M5 the more I "love" it.
If I need a cure, where do I Go?

And I thought that I was the only one who sold an M6 because it sat on the shelf. Whenever I reached in for a camera my hand just guided straight to the M5. I decided to stop pretending that I liked the M6.

Gerry

Yeah stop it... I even went to eBay and checked out how much one would go for!

All I know about the M5 is that people are not 'supposed' to like it as it's "bigger"?

What really did give the M5 this 'special' reputation it has?

In my humble opinion, the M5 was too far ahead of its time. How dare Leitz come out with a "different" body? The M5 arrived on the scene when the 35MM world was looking to SLRs for innovation. the camera "in"crowd were already looking away from Rangedinders. hell, to be perfectly honest, I never even noticed the arrival(or departure) of the M5. I was too busy making a living and being thoroughly satisfied with my M3 and its lenses. onlyb after retirement and finding Arthritis affecting my hands did I look for a more comfortable body. I strayed,very briefly to Contax, tried the RTSIII and quickly regained my sanity. Handling the M5 was a revelation. My only regret is wasting 30 years and more than a bit of money on Cantax Now, if only I can keep everyone from finding out about the M5, I can corner the market and, eventually, RULE THE WORLD!!

For those who are sincerely interested, the method I use when buying an M5 is to immediately, upon receipt, send it to Sherry, Golden Touch Camera Repair for a CLA, overhaul of the battery holder(the M5 originally used Mercury batteries), and if you plan to make the M5 your "user" camera, have the M4P framing system installed. That will give you the 28MM frame AND the 75MMframe. DAG is another good choice but Sherry is an M5 fanatic. She will be lecturing on the M5 at the LHSA annual meeting in St. Louis in october.
There are two "user" M5s on E---- right now. I'd E-mail Sherry, ask her to look at the one you are interested in and get her opinion. Go with whatever she tells you.(don't tell her I recommended this. She'll Kill me.

Sherry also thinks that the M5 is the best M of all time so she is obviously a woman of rare perception. Unfortunately, I've got to disagree with having the M4P framelines installed. One of the best things about the M5 finder is how uncluttered and clean it looks. Also adding the 28 frameline squishes the metering bar down to the bottom of the viewfinder making it hard to see for us eyeglass wearers.

Gerry

I agree with you, Gerry, about a couple of cluttered viewfinder frames, the 50MM,75MM frame is the best example But I have no problem wity metering bar and I have worn glasses for years. The 28Mm frame comes closest to the bar but, there seems to me enough sepatarion. so I have no hesitation when exposing a frame.

Sorry to be so late getting back. The store that I work in took an M5 with M6 framelines in on consignment. Of course I had to check it out and you're right, the metering bar is visible. But not as easy to see or use as the standard. It took me a while to figure out why I was having trouble with that particular camera until I brought my M5 in and compared them. Then it was one of those hit the forehead and say "Aha".

Gerry

My main reason to make the change was my rather extensive use of the 75Mm. Since, there is no current method to insert JUST the 75MM frame with the others, I opted to get the M4=P framing. It's not a perfect world, but it works for me. Upon my passing, I'm sure the M5s will be thown out along with the rest of my stuff. Until then, however, I'll thoroughlly enjoy my cameras.

I use a 28 a lot and for some reason the thought of changing the viewfinder just never occurred to me. I put a CV 28 viewfinder in the hot shoe. After I posted I thought I'd take another look at the M5 in the store. The 28 bottom frameline actually superimposes on the metering bar.

Every so often a person will come into the store with a load of gear, saying something like, "this is my father's and I have no idea what to do with it." I have no idea how to prevent that because none of my kids has any interest in photography beyond documenting their children. I recently gave my 5 year old grandson an old Yashica MG-1, hoping to generate some interest.

Gerry

I'm afraid the succeeding generations will have to find Leica for themselves. Our generation vowed to make life easier for our children. In doing so we started the ball rolling toward today's kids thati. expect everything they see on television:2. Expect a NEW car on their 16th birthday: 3. See no reason to work "cause Dad or Mom will give them any money they need: and 4th' the most pervasive one of all: Instant gratification for everything. Food now, Clothing(Per chosen) now and, way down the line, picyures now. The creative child may want to seek complete control and guide the results accordingly but, the average one will, loke water, take the path of least resistance.
I wish someone has the answer. In the meantime, hope that the Yashica will light a fire and a savior for the "Rangefinder gereration" will be born.

Back