Leica on TV or the movies :)

MP Guy

Just another face in the crowd
Staff member
Local time
4:49 PM
So, I am laying in bed watching Married with Children tonight episode: I who have nothing. Al bundy walks through the front door shooting with what appears to be a black M6 with a 75mm. Episode aired last night and I paused it with my DVR. It had a very evident red dot on the front :) Not bad for a shoe sales man :D

I actually saw a couple of Leicas in movies recently.

I sat through The Godfather III on cable a few weeks back. (It ain't good.) In one of the earlier scenes, the camera pans over a room and there are a couple of M3s, I believe, on a night table.

Another movie has been on HBO lately - not sure what the name is, but Julia Roberts is sporting an M6 at one point. (Didn't watch much of it.)

Maybe the movie with Julia Roberts is "closer". I saw it last night and there was a Leica m6 among the actors :).
I've also seen one in a silly italian movie "sapore di mare" ... and as far as I can remember Gwyneth (what a name ... it's so difficult to write ...) Paltrow in "Sky Captain and the world of tomorrow" holds a Leica II or III.
Bye
Nico

The movie with Julia Roberts and the M6 is indeed 'Closer' (there's an older thread about that if I 'm not wrong).

Slightly OT: Recently saw a documentary about the Uffizzi gallery in Florence and the investigation of one of the Da Vinci paintings. There was a very impressive array of Leica imaging and IR measuring equipment in use, ironically much of it was digital.

YEa. Al had just raided his uncles house after he died. Ended up with all sort of stuff including the Leica and a yellow tooth.

nico said:
... and as far as I can remember Gwyneth (what a name ... it's so difficult to write ...) Paltrow in "Sky Captain and the world of tomorrow" holds a Leica II or III.
Bye
Nico
I thought the camera in that movie was a modified Argus C-3?
Rob

I recently saw 'Lord of War,' and Nicholas Cage appears to use a black M6 to photograph a woman. Also, on one of those drug/pharmaceutical tv commercials for a men's drug, a bunch of older gentlemen are riding in a convertible car and one of 'gents' in the back seat has what appears to be a Leica D2.

:)

telenous said:
The movie with Julia Roberts and the M6 is indeed 'Closer' (there's an older thread about that if I 'm not wrong).

Sitting and punching oneself in the face for two hours whilst listening to Damien Rice is the same as watching Closer, I've found.

memphis said:
I'd seen the leica but wasn't 100% -- now, al bundy using a leica is a selling point for me... a bunch of old guys with junk that don't work doesn't sell the leica to me....

Long live Al Bundy

Good points, Memphis... Al has a charming habit of pointing out the quality in whatever he touches... or is it the deplorable???? I forget, but always found him entertaining. I have seen the ads with guys "with junk that don't work"... a leering woman with "come hither" eyes twinkling and a leica anywhere in that picture just does not enhance the message for either product. Although, I doubt it was leica's idea to put their camera in the hands of a now "fixed" guy.

RayPA said:
I recently saw 'Lord of War,' and Nicholas Cage appears to use a black M6 to photograph a woman. Also, on one of those drug/pharmaceutical tv commercials for a men's drug, a bunch of older gentlemen are riding in a convertible car and one of 'gents' in the back seat has what appears to be a Leica D2.

:)

pretty sure it was a cl

langdon auger said:
Sitting and punching oneself in the face for two hours whilst listening to Damien Rice is the same as watching Closer, I've found.

I lovec closer, but always annoy friends when I point out that she took a picture with the leica, that when printed with sloppy borders is obvoiously medium format. :rolleyes:
Then everyone tells me to shut up :)

Joe Dirt. Alligator tamer scene. Guy in the audience with leica like camera. My mind sometimes craves junk food and I won't apologize.

Fresh Prince of Bel Aire, opening when Will Smith gets out of the cab he's got a leica like camera around his neck. can't tell what it is though.

You always know when a Leica camera is spotted in the movies that, from the way they're holding and "using" the camera, the actor has absolutely no clue how to properly use what is in their hands, right? Someone just handed it to them for the scene.

Of course, Yul Brenner knew but I never saw him use one in any scene. Come to think of it, did he every play a character in a modern setting?

Off-topic only in terms of brand and format: In the just-opening film "Heading South", Charlotte Rampling (who gets my vote as Most Fearless Actress) is handling what looks to be a Rolleiflex TLR. I'll have to see the film to see if she handles it convincingly, but that will likely be relatively low on the priority list when I plunk myself into my seat to watch. (The events of the film take place roughly around 1970 in Haiti.)

Of course, the hottest actress who truly knows her way around a Leica is Jamie Lee Curtis. But I digress...

- Barrett

Back