Leica X-U?

jsrockit

Staff member
Local time
3:24 AM
Here:

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/first-picture-of-a-strange-new-leica-x-u-camera/

LEICA-XU-700x181.jpg

I am beginning to wonder if they know who their market is anymore. They seem to be turning into every other camera company. New announcements every three months or less.

Maybe someone let the bookkeepers into the back room.

Have to give them credit for finding an un-tapped niche - the large sensor water resistant outdoors camera.
A lot of good atmospheric shots go missed because of adverse wet or dusty conditions.

Not sure of the sensor size but a nice , APSC sensor would be nice .... Not much out there unless you want to bag or box your current camera ....

I have looked into a water housing for my MM and only came up with this
http://www.outex.com/

It will certainly be cheaper than a 5DMK 3 and a water housing

A photographer friend shoots this type of stuff here in Hawaii .. I can see a place for a nice water proof camera such as this new Leica if they take it serious and it's not made for poolside splashes ...

http://waynelevinimages.com/featured/

Red eye underwater?

There's a first time for everything! :D

It's unconventional no matter how it's used -- on land I would think red eye could be an issue; underwater you usually want your flash as far away from your lens as possible so you don't light up all the particles/microorganisms (looks like snow). I'm curious to know their reasoning and ideal usage...

Seems like an ideal camera for hiking through the rainforest (where I live) and camping trips. Carried a GRD into the forest once; took it out, and it promptly died in a light drizzle. A friend had his DSLR and couldn't take any photos at all -- the high humidity fogged up both lens and viewfinder the minute he took the camera out of the backpacj.

This may make a real splash on the scene ;)

Wish they had some rough specs to drool over...

http://leicarumors.com/2016/01/15/another-announcement-for-next-week-leica-x-u-typ-113-camera.aspx/

Leica-X-U-Typ-113-camera-2.jpg

Looks like it's coming. The front ring reads 1:1.7/23 so most likely 35mm (equivalent) F1.7 with APS-C sensor. I am a fan of 35mm fov but that's an interesting choice for an outdoor camera. Maybe conversion lenses will be available?

Would be interesting if Leica will introduce underwater housing with it. Without one, you can't really take it to scuba diving regardless of waterproof depth reading of the camera itself.

This, I never thought I'd see . . . Leica X-U

This, I never thought I'd see . . . Leica X-U

A Leica that can be used, as sold, underwater. Wow, never thought I'd see that.

Now it can only be used in shallow water, like for snorkeling, but still, that is underwater. It wouldn't survive to the depths we dive with scuba gear, but a Leica that can be used (without a housing) underwater, never thought I'd see it.

Leica X-U

Best,
-Tim

It's ugly but I like it. The price is a tad too high but the lens seems to be good and the Sensor is big. If I had the spare cash...

The things going for it..
- Leica
- apsc sensor
- the lens

A tad expensive is certainly a tad of an understatement..:)

It's direct competition though a 1'inch sensor is the Nikon 1 AW1 at around 900-1k plus it's a csc. I would expect the image quality to be better on the Leica.

Gary

Don't know what the market is for this but it's pretty cool.

Would consider picking one up used in a few years at half price. If it was already out and depreciated I'd think about getting one for an upcoming trip to the Andes depending on the image quality. The sample images aren't exactly breath taking or ironically underwater.

It looks like they introduced a desert camera.

A Leica that can be used, as sold, underwater. Wow, never thought I'd see that.

Now it can only be used in shallow water, like for snorkeling, but still, that is underwater. It wouldn't survive to the depths we dive with scuba gear, but a Leica that can be used (without a housing) underwater, never thought I'd see it.

Leica X-U

Best,
-Tim
It is bloddy expensive compared to a GoPro or one of the other underwater cameras, the flash is too close to the lens to prevent a blizzard obscuring your subject, and it is basically an X at double the price. I don't see it selling - at least not to me.

edit - and did you ever try to use an LCD screen underwater? - not a very nice experience...

Oh- and the focal length is rather long. Under water 18-21 works better than 35.

Back