Leica X1 - Is this for real?

I do prefer an OVF, but EVF has one feature I like - the ability to magnify the image during focusing.

I could lose AF entirely.

I don't understand why some are raving about the appearance of the "M9." How much does it take to photoshop a black M8 into an M9? Change the 8 to a 9?

I don't think Leica would put a bulky grip on a camera with a small, fixed lens. It just isn't needed for balance or handling.

Phony.

I don't understand why some are raving about the appearance of the "M9." How much does it take to photoshop a black M8 into an M9? Change the 8 to a 9?

I don't think Leica would put a bulky grip on a camera with a small, fixed lens. It just isn't needed for balance or handling.

Phony.

The top plate is rather different on the M9 photo...it's more than just changing the M8 to an M9, and it doesn't seem to me a change any photoshopper with an intent to deceive would invent on his own.

The grip on the other camera appears to me to be an accessory, as well, and the design seems very plausible to me.

I'm with Bill, highly doubtful. No less because you can count the number of Leica shooter in Vietnam on two hands, what's up with him having actual pics?

Well, whatever it is there are a couple of things to point out. First, the grip and baseplate are an attachment. You can see the knurled screw knob under the base. Second, the shutter button has what looks like a fairly conventional projection for zoom control, which makes me think the lens shown is definitely a mockup and is not going to be a fixed focal length. Thirdly, the whole appearance of the lens looks so similar to the mockup used when the EP-1 concept camera was first displayed that I don't think it is what we will eventually see.
So I'm still betting on something like a new version of the D-Lux/LX3 with a non-interchangeable zoom lens.
But I can wait. It now looks like we might have a choice of three similar cameras by the end of the year - the Panasonic GF1, the Olympus EP-2 and the Leica X1 or whatever it turns out to be. Not forgetting the Canon G11 either! All will have different specs but the chances of finding one with the desired features increases exponentially as more models emerge.

Just so you guys know, it isn't a photo - it's a cad (computer aided design) mockup. They do this during design stages before they start building prototypes from wood and clay.

Just a thought

Just a thought

Is there any reason the presumed pop up flash couldn't be a pop up viewfinder? Camera has a hot shoe already.

One other thing, the M9 photo, what would the little hole in the body just above and to the left of lens mount be? Similar hole on X1 pic too.

Ted.

Is there any reason the presumed pop up flash couldn't be a pop up viewfinder? Camera has a hot shoe already.

One other thing, the M9 photo, what would the little hole in the body just above and to the left of lens mount be? Similar hole on X1 pic too.

Ted.

Well, yes, there are reasons it couldn't be a pop-up viewfinder, and it's the same reason there are little holes in the bodies -- these are faked by a Vietnamese guy with a long history of posting mock-ups. So untwist your knickers, get a G&T, and relax until 9-9-9. Or, even later than that.

JC

Maybe they'll see fit to offer a monochrome only version by dumping the Bayer sensor and we can see some serious resolution once more in a small package.

I don't really think it's a CAD, if you zoom into the photo & look at the reflections of the lens, you can clearly see two windows & some other stuff. I'm sure you can add those sort of effects in CAD, but would someone really go to all that effort? Complete with what looks like near perfect reflection in the lens.

I could be wrong I'm not CAD man, but still, seems too perfect to be a rendering. CAD things often have a certain fakeness too them.

Either way, I hedge my bets on it being real, the teaser video upped to youtube is tagged with "x1" & they registered the name x1. Don't think it gets more clear cut than that.

the shutter button has what looks like a fairly conventional projection for zoom control, which makes me think the lens shown is definitely a mockup and is not going to be a fixed focal length.

the switch surrounding the shutter button is for off>on>single frame>continuous shooting>self timer, same as the m8 and m8.2 NOT zoom.

Small blurb in the new Leica brochure that popped up today:

"Leica X1

The design of this elegant new compact member of the Leica camera family is clearly reminiscent of the classic M camera, but its beauty is more than skin deep. It is equipped with a CMOS sensor equal in size to that of many DSLR cameras, and it's fitted with one the very best Leica lenses, enabling it to stand on it's own even with the big boys in terms of image quality. As an optional alternative to its impressive array of manual functions, it provides automatic features, such as autofocus, making it a convenient companion for any discerning camera user."

The single photo in the brochure looks just like the leaked pics sans handgrip.

Back