Lens cases/holders?

piero2020

Established
Local time
12:07 PM
Hello,

having very recently come from the SLR world, I am amazed at the extremely convenient tiny size of RF lenses (LTM in my case). With reflex cameras, I was resigned at having a bulky case per lens in my backpack, but these tiny lenses made me think that I could try a different and more convenient solution.
Can you recommend cases? Or maybe even a multiple lens holder? I don't remember seeing lens cases for such small lenses when shopping for my reflex lenses.
Thanks!

I wrap my LTM lenses in 6'x7" or 12"x12" lint-free microfiber cleaning cloths with a rubber band to hold the roll closed.

Back in the 1950-1960s when rangefinders and their lenses were popular, Canon, Nikon, and a number of other lens manufacturers sold their lenses in appropriately sized & shaped plastic and hard leather lens cases. There are a lot of these still out there. Not too expensive on eBay (depending on the branding).

I have used the domke cloth cases as noted in the second post, they work well. I also have a few neoprene envelopes that work well, too. For smaller RF lens like 50mm and 35mm, I use the old bakelite boxes from Soviet era lenses, with a couple of circles of bubble wrap inside for additional cushioning. I have a bunch of these old boxes, even use them for storing nuts and bolts in my garage workshop.

There are a slew of different small neoprene lens bags. Or small microfiber lens bags. I'd recommend looking into some of these before you get hard cases.

Thanks! What about shock protection? Don't they bump into each other?

By the time the cloth is folded and wrapped around the lens there are several layers of material all around. I have been doing this for decades, first with athletic socks, and more recently with the microfiber cloths to minimize lint. I have had no issues.

Back