Lenses & M7

dll927

Well-known
Local time
12:47 PM
I seem to recall reading somewhere that the M7 has an electronic connection between body and lens. (My Leica is a 20-yr. old M4-2.) Maybe I'm all wet. What I'm really saying is, do older lenses work on the M7?

Well, I have the same question, but about the M5 (the first metered Leica). If I get an old 1955 Summicron, will it work with the M5?

Now it's two of us, about two different bodies.

Funny, dll927, I was going to PM-you with that question about the M5...

Hi Francisco -- Relax... The only connection between any M body and its lens is the mechanical focusing cam & arm. :)

I am a "most" devoted user of the M5. The metering system, the most accurate focusing system, plus the added size for Arthritic hands, makes it the besy Leica for me.
The down side. @1MM super Angulons cannot be used due to the depth of the rear element. The very early 28MM Elmarits have the same problem. the collpsibile 50MM Elmars and 90Mm elmars can be used but NOT collapsed due to interference with meter arm. Since there are many other %0s and a few 90s that can be safely used, there is really no problem.
anyone want to buy a Mint 90MM collapsible with caps and hood, e-mail me off list.

Gipsy, that's fine, and your concern is well-placed (and probably applicable to a CL too). But if you'll re-read what I said, you'll see it's not inconsistent. There are no electrical or mechanical inter-connections between M bodies and lenses such as exist on modern auto SLRs, except for the focusing cam. And please note that Francisco is talking about a Summicron (not a collapsible one, good point) on the M5. Best wishes! :)

A piece of electrical tape or narrow strapping tape(in the color of your choice) wrapped around the extended tube of either collapsible lens will cure the problem of using them on the M5 or CL. If only we could remember to extend the lens before cocking the shutter. First I need to remember what film I have in what camera. Thank God for the "slide".

I can recall hearing about that situation with the M-5 back when they were new. So owners of M-5s need to be aware of it.

My original question was regarding the M-7. Apparently there is no problem. It could have been the Leica SLRs that I was reading about. It's just that if I should ever decide to upgrade to the M-7, it would blow my mind to have three lenses that wouldn't operate properly! Seems there is no need to worry.

If you are left-handed, have large hands, or want the BEST Leica ever made, take a long look at the M5. I started with the IIIF, went to the M3 and the M6s and finally found the M5. I don't know where I was when they first came out, but I missed them then. Now my bag is full of M5s and they are the most comfortable camera i have ever used. Durable, dependable, and with a meter, if you use it, that will be the most accurate you can find. If you are into available light, you will find the range finder the best there is.

What is there about the M5 that makes it easier for lefties to use?

-Paul

The quote about the "M7 having an electrical connection to the lens" is true, if the M7 is a Mamiya 7...

jdos, this is about the Leica M7, which is the first AE body in the history of the brand. The M5 is famous for being the first body with a built-in meter.

And yes, I was wondering about a rigid Summicron, not a collapsible one. I guess I failed to make myself clear.

Me, buy a M5? No... In fact, if I had the resources, I'd head for any of a M4 or a M4-2, which, as far as I know, aren't metered bodies. Why? I just like them. :)

Back