Leotax LTM Leotax TV and TV2 differences

Leotax M39 screw mount bodies

Daimon

Established
Local time
4:55 PM
Wanted to ask anyone (ideally if someone has both and even better - disassembled them) what are differences between Leotax TV and TV2.

Of course aparat from the most obvious one which is lever winding on TV2.

Size? Viewfinder? Rangefinder? Are they the same except of knob/lever winding mechanism?

The TV and TV2 are functionally the same in most ways - the TV2 is just missing the self timer and the T setting on the slow speed dial.

Lever wind didn't come in until the FV later on.

Are you thinking of the T2L/Elite? I've had that open, but never the TV, so can't compare the internals. They're pretty similar in almost every way, though. That said, the rewind crank on the T2L is a big improvement on the regular Barnack-style rewind (and, I'd argue, all the M ones too!), but I can't decide how I feel about the lever wind vs the regular knob wind of the earlier models. Not only does it constantly jab me in the side while I'm out hiking with it, but mine's developed a weird tendency to have a long "dead zone" before it actually engages the advance mechanism if it isn't totally returned to the starting position after winding on. I need to take the top off the camera again and see if I can figure out why.

I mean Leotax TV (knob winding) compared to TV2 (lever winding).

If I'm not mistaken latest versions were as follow:
Leotax F (with T and K as stripped down versions)
Leotax TV - new viewfinder but 1/500 (with T2 and K3 as stripped down versions)
Leotax FV - lever winding and 1/1000 (with TV2/Merite, T2L/Elite as stripped down versions).

It looks that major difference between F and TV is bigger viewfinder.

FV had lever winding and bigger viewfinder.

In theory this makes TV2 (same as FV but without 1/1000) and TV almost the same with lever being the only difference but wanted to confirm.

Ah, apologies - you're right. This is what I get for commenting at 3am! I got the T2 and TV2 mixed up. Derp.

But yes, the TV2 and TV are functionally identical on paper, and the T2L/Elite is basically the same as the TV2, but without the self-timer (which is always my preferred option, personally - less to get in the way and less to go wrong) and the T setting, so my earlier comments are still valid.

One other thing to bear in mind is that the shutter release was moved forward on the FV and later models - it's now at the front of the top plate - and there's a small window showing an indicator that spins as you wind on where the shutter release used to be. The only real use for that which I can see is to tell when the film disengages from the take-up spool as you rewind in case you don't want to totally rewind back into the cassette, but hey - it's a difference, so I thought I'd mention it.

I mean Leotax TV (knob winding) compared to TV2 (lever winding).

If I'm not mistaken latest versions were as follow:
Leotax F (with T and K as stripped down versions)
Leotax TV - new viewfinder but 1/500 (with T2 and K3 as stripped down versions)
Leotax FV - lever winding and 1/1000 (with TV2/Merite, T2L/Elite as stripped down versions).

It looks that major difference between F and TV is bigger viewfinder.

FV had lever winding and bigger viewfinder.

In theory this makes TV2 (same as FV but without 1/1000) and TV almost the same with lever being the only difference but wanted to confirm.
I believe you are correct in your lineup. I own a DIV, F, TV, T2, (2)FV's, TV2,T2L, and G. You might say I have been very enthusiastic about Leotax and will have to say my fave is the FV. It has it all for me in a Leica copy and I also own a Leica IIIg as a standard to compare to. You might say I am also very enthusiastic about the Topcor lenses, made pretty much exclusively for the Leotax brand. My G is the rarest, but I like the handling of the FV
slightly better. I have never had any apart, so I can't tell you how each model might compare.

Ack so between TV and TV2 it's mainly about lever winding vs knob winding. Any other differences between those?

Was also looking for FV but it looks to be very rare now.

Ack so between TV and TV2 it's mainly about lever winding vs knob winding. Any other differences between those?

Was also looking for FV but it looks to be very rare now.
The other noted differences between the TV and TV2, obviously, a newer body but also, parallax correction lines in the TV2 viewfinder and rewind crank in the rewind knob. For the definitive work by Paul Sokk on Leotax, visit his website. It has a wealth of information not only on Leotax, but Nicca, Minolta, and most recently Canon. He has been wonderful to correspond to.

Back