Looking for a sling camera bag

kshapero

South Florida Man
Local time
6:12 AM
I do a lot of biking, need a sling bag for my Leica M-A and 35mm lens. Any ideas? Any experiences?

I had one by either Tamrac or Domke back from 2003-2005 and it withstood 6 months of urban combat.

Phil Forrest

I’m not sure about the model. It was a top loader that was open purchased by Navy public affairs then issued to me. Whatever it was, it was very durable.

Would this work?

Would this work?

I tried this bag and while I think it would be great for a digital shooter, I didn't like it for use with my film cameras. The outside pockets are so thin and tight that anything thicker than an SD card or perhaps a filter does not fit well. It is very nicely made, though, and a good-looking piece of kit.

I also tried the Moment sling bag. It is similarly well-made, but it only works as a sling bag with the strap across the body. I found it uncomfortable to wear as a sling (largely because I live in sweltering Florida and it made my back hot and sweaty). If you try to carry it just over one shoulder the top leans out away from the body and causes the strap to pull off your shoulder.

In the end, I wound up going with a Think Tank Photo Retrospective 4. It's a regular shoulder bag, not a sling, but it's comfortable to carry over one shoulder and if I ever want to, I can wear the strap cross-body like a sling just fine. I found it more comfortable than either the Peak Design or Moment bags, but it is a good deal smaller than either of those bags so I guess that's to be expected.

For a small rig like that I'd consider the Hadley Small -the one without the top handle. I'm also using a larger PeakDesign sling bag but use it mostly for air travel since it's zippered and nothing can fall out in an overhead bin. It also has a top handle on the side of the bag so that it easily slides over the top of a carry-on wheelie case. Cheers, OtL

Last edited:
Back