M-E vs. M 8.2 - Image Quality and Overall Experience

For me the question is: is the M9 €2000 better than the M8?
I really like the idea of my lenses behaving the way I am used to from 35mm film, plus I hate the 24mm/35mm framelines!
However I like using the M8 for infrared shots, but couldn't justify having both an M8 and M9.
So for me, for the time being, the answer is no. I can understand why it would be worth it to somebody else.

For me the question is: is the M9 €2000 better than the M8?
I really like the idea of my lenses behaving the way I am used to from 35mm film, plus I hate the 24mm/35mm framelines!
However I like using the M8 for infrared shots, but couldn't justify having both an M8 and M9.
So for me, for the time being, the answer is no. I can understand why it would be worth it to somebody else.

For me, the M9 is definitely worth the premium over the M8, but that's just me :)

For me full frame is always worth a premium, the only thing that bugs me since I changed from M8-M9 is do I really need a 28mm Summicron anymore. All my cameras are full frame for work I use a couple of Canon 1dx and when I'm not working either a 5d classic (best full frame buy at the moment) or M9, its just nice to have everything the same format, but thats just me.
Thinking about it when I still had an M8 my work cameras were Canon 1dmk3 which worked out well as they are also 1.3 crop.

Since I've only shoot with the M8 so I can't really speak to what the differences/advantage of one of the newer models like the M9, M-E besides the obvious things like megapixels and higher usable ISO speeds. What I can say is the more I use the M8 the less I feel the need to replace it. Sure its old tech but as longs at that tech meets my needs that's all the matters.

Since I've only shoot with the M8 so I can't really speak to what the differences/advantage of one of the newer models like the M9, M-E besides the obvious things like megapixels and higher usable ISO speeds. What I can say is the more I use the M8 the less I feel the need to replace it. Sure its old tech but as longs at that tech meets my needs that's all the matters.

I think I have to agree. As a digital camera the M8 is more than good enough for my purposes. Sometimes one can over-think these things, much better to take pictures!

it shows how the framelines are identical, achieved by giving the M8 viewfinder a wider fov.

This is not correct. Both M8 and M9 viewfinders are the same 0.68x magnification and the framelines are sized differently. For example, the 35mm framelines on the M8 are sized to the cropped, effective focal length of 47mm. If you don't believe me, I suggest that you stick a 35mm lens on each camera and take a look through the VF of each in turn.

This old thread has best images for M8 frame lines :).

I had nice chrome M8 which I purchased for curiosity while already owning M-E. I did comparison tests with high ISO and didn't find much difference. M8 has more solid, classic build. The only real difference was in the sensor sizes.
I sold it because I didn't really needed two digital M back then. I still periodically want second not big, nice digital camera to toss M-E around less often and every time after reading and handling newer cameras like X100V, I'm kind of missing M8.

Back