M-Mount Cameras NOT Made by Leica: Taking the M concept further

I used to own two CL's, and I sometimes miss having them after I sold them off. I used them mainly with wide angle lenses. There was no need for perfect focusing.

Konica RF focusing errors

Konica RF focusing errors

IMHO the Hexar RF lens mount 'issue' is an internet myth. It's a trivial engineering exercise to duplicate the M mount dimensions. Focusing errors are far more likely due to RF cam issues. Much more likely that rumors of focusing errors were spread by Leica fanboys. :) I have had several of these, all worked fabulously. And with Leica bodies doubling or tripling in price, buy three or more Hexar for the price of an M6...

It is entirely possible that "Leica fanboys" among others, amplified the focusing issues that some Hexar RF users experienced when using Leica M-mount lenses on their cameras, but it is not merely "an internet myth" as you conjecture. I know for a fact that Konica quietly adjusted some Hexar RF cameras that were out of spec and I have spoken with 2 experienced high-end camera repairmen in the U.S. that have done the same. I am skeptical of the story, which I quoted, that Konica failed to ask about manufacturing tolerances when confirming the M-mount specs with Leitz, and that Leitz (understandably) did not divulge un-asked-for information, but that does not alter the fact that there was a problem affecting a limited number of cameras. These lingering doubts undoubtedly contributed to the Hexar RF's short production run. It was a touchy issue for many reasons, but had Konica confronted the issue early and openly this outstanding camera may well have fared better in the marketplace.

35mm framelines work just fine! If I was hellbent on frame accuracy I wouldn't be using rangefinders. :)

I have an R2, R4A, and R4M. The only Bessas that have 40mm framelines are the R3A and R3M.

I have an Olympus VF-1 which feels just a tad tighter than the Voigtlander 35mm finder (even though they're both 35mm). That might be the ticket for the 40mm.

Back