M8 Batteries

ray*j*gun

Mentor
Local time
10:08 AM
Can anyone recommend a battery replacement for a Leica M8u? It seems they are getting hard to find with good ratings. Even B&H is backordered for the Leica brand battery.

Thank You!!

I ordered two Leica brand batteries in September- one is already giving problems, and I have to charge before use. I suspect they are new-old-stock. The main component for monitoring power is back-ordered, not available. SO- may be why their is a shortage. I've been using third party batteries, which work well- but also find I need to charge up within days of use. I'm using cameronsino cs-bl1312mc 1600mAh 3.7v, read off the package. Under $20.

Thanks Brian. Amazon has them for $23 but I'll ck ebay as well. Always a problem when stuff gets a long in the tooth.

Hope you are well my friend!!

I was cautioned by Brian in a general caution on this board. I have 12 - 15 M8/M9 batteries. I charge all of them every once in awhile just so they do not forget what they are. Leitz could do a better job with support but Leitz is no longer Leitz but a collection of MBA's and money boys who run the company as a profit center and not what it once was. That is a shame.

In this case- I think it was the halt of manufacturing due to Covid. Some critical components are back-ordered for a year or more still. I looked up the battery monitoring circuit used in the m8/m9 battery pack- it is still backordered.

In this case- I think it was the halt of manufacturing due to Covid. Some critical components are back-ordered for a year or more still. I looked up the battery monitoring circuit used in the m8/m9 battery pack- it is still backordered.
Well, this is another example of how it pays to listen to them what knows. The M8.2 and the M9 are fine cameras and I am glad to have a secure supply of batteries. I bought these about a year or so ago in the tail end of the pandemic, all eBay specials. Perhaps I lucked out just before the crunch started. Gratefully the Pixii uses a standard Sony battery, the NP-FP50, and there are easily sourced clones.

Back