M8 with SD card issue

santino

FSU gear head
Local time
9:27 AM
I have the opportunity to get an M8 (in Leica world rather inexpensive, in ancient digital camera world expensive) with the following issue:
Everything seems to work properly but when the camera tries to write to the SD card, it freezes. The led is on and it is necessary to remove the battery in order to reset the camera. As I understand it the owner did not use a new sd card so it is probably not an issue with too large sd card, wrong brand etc.

Is this a glitch in software or something wrong with the card port? I‘d really like to own my first digital M but don’t want to end up with a brick.

What card are you using?

I use Sandisk 8GByte and 16GByte 4x cards in my M8.
I put a 64GByte Sandisk SDXC into it, and had to format it in-camera before writing to it.
Anything bigger- I've never tried.
Also- what version of firmware is loaded in the camera?

I don’t know what card and what firmware version. I don’t have it and I would not buy it locally so I can’t check it myself (yet). The seller accepts no returns and refunds so it is a bit of gamble. Do the card ports fail often? I know that CF card ports frequently end up with bend contacts but sd cards seem to be safer.
I guess a possible repair at Wetzlar is not feasible or way more expensive than the camera is worth.

If you cannot personally test it and return it: do not buy it. Chances are it's a bent contact, or a dirty contact. Equal chances on a 17 year old piece of electronic equipment is it has failed. Repair- not economical to have a pro shop do it, assuming parts are available.

Thanks! That’s what I thought, a digital M is complex and parts may become unavailable. Maybe I should invest in the Nikon Z system in order to be able to use my M and L39 lenses. Meanwhile I’m fine with b&w film and my Fuji S5 DSLR.

I'm very happy with the Nikon Z5 to use with many lenses.

But- I'm also very happy with my Leica M8

Back