M9 2023 sensor rot: Repair or replace WWYD?

Sanders McNew

Rolleiflex User
Local time
5:00 AM
I gave Melanie a Leica M9 ages ago. Now it has a corroded sensor and I gather Leica no longer repairs them. I see that a few third-parties repair them for US$1000 but results are not guaranteed.

What to do?

Melanie loved the camera for its film-camera-like ergonomics and the quality of the images it made. Is there a full-frame rangefinder replacement that makes sense for under, say, US$3000?

If not, then what do you recommend for a repair attempt?

Does Leica offer any trade-in value on an afflicted M9?

I knew I retired too soon

I cannot vouch for Kolari and would not dispute the recommendation. I have done business with RedDot Repair and Jadon was always competent and quick. He does sensor repair, too. His website is not up to snuff but the last contact I had with Jadon he sure was.

If you can save the camera it is a good idea. The M9 has very nice color when the sensor has uncorroded glass.

Red Dot Repair - Leica/Hasselblad Technicians This is a better and more pertinent link:

The best you probably will do in that price range is an M 240 which is a nice enough camera but you will loose that CCD magic. Repair is much less expensive on top of that.

I cannot vouch for Kolari and would not dispute the recommendation. I have done business with RedDot Repair and Jadon was always competent and quick. He does sensor repair, too. His website is not up to snuff but the last contact I had with Jadon he sure was.

If you can save the camera it is a good idea. The M9 has very nice color when the sensor has uncorroded glass.

Red Dot Repair - Leica/Hasselblad Technicians This is a better and more pertinent link:

Boojum, thanks a milllion -- this is the kind of resource I was looking for.

Unless you’re nostalgic for the CCD sensor, I’d sell the camera as-is and put the money toward a slightly newer and more reliable M240.

I went with the M240 over the M9 out of concern over this very problem. While I do understand the attraction of the CCD, I would advise borrowing or renting a M240 and seeing if it's images would be acceptable before risking the money on a repair that may or may not work.

The alternative I've decided on should my M240 go into an equally expensive failure mode is a Nikon Z5 or possibly now Zf and a M mount adapter. It wouldn't be a rangefinder and I'd miss that but I'd still have use of my lenses.

I like the M-9 very much for the quality of the color and, let's say, authenticity. The M-9 CCD seems "to get it right." I have an M240 and an M-8 but I use the M-9. The M-9 has a Leica replaced sensor and circuit board. As always, YMMV.

I would abandon it! Expensive repair and not guaranteed? See what Nikon, Canon SLR are selling for with CCD sensor! My Nikon D50 with a great lens was $60.DSC_4636 (2).JPG

If Jadon at Red Dot Repair is doing the cover-glass replacement, I would send it there. Jadon is one of the few that explained how it is done.
I looked for the service on his website, but was not listed.

I used Kolari for replacement of the sensor cover (which I think is the part that actually corrodes over time). Kolari replaced the sensor cover with a type of glass that has the same (or very, very close) transmission characteristics as the OEM corroded cover and the camera is back to its old self. The new glass will not corrode. I have shot with the M9 since 2009 will probably keep shooting with it until something fundamental in it breaks and cannot be repaired. I hope that is a good long while.

Here is my short thread on the Kolari replacement with before and after pictures from the sensor.
Sent my M9 off to Kolari Toiday

Last edited:
Jadon, Red Dot Repair, no longer services the M9 to replace the cover glass. Just heard back from him.

Looks like Kolari is the best option for this service.

Jadon, Red Dot Repair, no longer services the M9 to replace the cover glass. Just heard back from him.

Looks like Kolari is the best option for this service.

Thanks for the heads-up on that one. I do not foresee a need as I have the upgraded Leica sensor/circuit board, but it is nice to know.

I wonder why Jadon stopped the service? The posts he had of the sensor he modded look pretty good to me.

Back