M9 Ccd Id 11 ?

yossarian123

Sam I Am
Local time
6:13 AM
I've decided to take the plunge and get myself an M10. In order to do that I need to sell my M9. I'm getting it ready to put up on the classifieds but then I started poking around to verify that I really do have the new sensor.

Back in 2015 I sent it to Leica for a sensor replacement (I think it was around when they first announced the program). The ID on the debug menu says 11, but the internet seems to think that 15 & 16 are the true replacement sensors. Does anyone know if sensor 11 has the actual corrosion issue fixed? Or did I just get a bad sensor swapped for another potentially bad sensor?

Looking through archives I see an announcement of the corrosion free sensor mid summer of 2015 and an announcement of actual corrosion free replacements starting September 1st or so.

I’ve had this M9 for 8 years now. Maybe it’s a sign to keep it. I can probably sell some other stuff to cover the m10 cost.

I’ve had this M9 for 8 years now. Maybe it’s a sign to keep it. I can probably sell some other stuff to cover the m10 cost.

You'll likely find it fun and interesting to compare the output of the M9 with the M10 side by side!

I'll keep my M9 for as long as it continues to work, and still after as a collectible. It's produced some of my favourite photos in the last ten years.

I've reached out to Leica repair to get a definitive answer. I'll update this thread when I hear back.

After my internet research yesterday it seems that:
- the new sensor program started in 2015.
- the initial batch of sensor replacements done by Leica in 2015 could have just swapped out the old for a new sensor that still had the corrosion issue.
- shortly after that there was a true fix to the corrosion issue and subsequent repairs all used the new sensor.

I'm almost positive that my sensor with ID 11 is still a part of the batch that has corrosion issues. I replaced the sensor in 2015 and I remember being one of the early adopters of the replacement program.

A final update - I could never get a clear answer from Leica USA. They wanted me to send in the camera and wouldn't say whether CCD 11 was an older sensor. I then decided to do another sensor check (f16 against a sky background) and discovered a couple of spots that are almost certainly corrosion. So I guess that answers that.

I wish Leica would have been more clear with people, especially ones like me that sent in their cameras thinking they were fixed. I would have for sure sent it back if I would have known.

Do you know what date it was that you sent it in to Leica?

I believe it was in 2015, but I'm unsure of the exact date since I lost the repair receipt and there were no emails associated with it. I asked for a copy of the receipt this week but they never gave it to me.

Back