M9 IR Pix

Local time
4:43 AM
When the M8 came out, its infrared response gave many of us fits. I, for instance, found out that certain older ladies' hair dye reflected IR in a very unflattering way under interior light. So out came the IR cut filters, and much hand-wringing ensued. When the M9 came out, its IR response was muted, but (as it turns out) an M9 still records a decent amount of IR on its sensor. I went the other way on all of this. I ultimately came to see the M8's IR response as getting a "free" IR camera in addition to my visible light rangefinder. So I still have some cut filters for the visible spectrum kicking around, even though the M8 has long been down the road and I have been very happily using the M9 for the past 10 years or so.

A recent RFF thread on the Leica Elmar got me looking in my cabinet to see what I had in a slow 50 and I came across a 35 Summaron in LTM on which I had long ago mounted an F-Pro 093 IR filter. I chose a 35 for my IR experiments because I could take photos at "infinity" and still get usable results without getting too wrapped up about the IR focus shift. Yesterday, I stepped out for some quick snaps with the old 35 Summaron and the IR filter. Here they are after some tweaking in LightRoom:

L1012001.jpg

L1012003.jpg

So how 'bout it RFF? A good number of you are walking around with a built in infrared recording device slung over your shoulders. Let's see 'em, if you've got 'em.

Back