Votes: 52 52.5%
  • Soft

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Discreet

Votes: 26 26.3%
  • Discreet & Soft

Votes: 15 15.2%

• Total voters
I have no M9, but M-E. Recently it went and stayed for one day in "sticky" mode. And then returned by itself to the "standard".

I have tried "discreet" couple of times, but it is like trying to hold the fart after it already happened. Never worked for me. :D

I guess the cause is the succesful drive by most camera manufacturers to replace our brains by chips in cameras - which is based on the insulting idea that the average photographer is rather more idiot than a bunch of electrons jumping about in a piece of silicon.:mad:
Well, a lot of average photographers aren't as bright as apparently you are.

Standard. I'm often running or climbing or throwing myself on the ground to get my photographs and soft was always firing off as my camera bounced around, draining my battery.

Soft and discreet no longer work reliably. Sometimes the shutter doesn't recock at all. This has been the case of years now and several versions of the firmware. Never properly attended to I guess. Safest to stick with standard now.

>>Soft and discreet no longer work reliably. Sometimes the shutter doesn't recock at all.
True, but at least on my camera, whenever this happens, it never takes more than a single light touch on the shutter release to initiative a new release. Unless you take many shots in quick succession, this seems to be a reliable workaround.

I once read somewhere that standard setting has best corresponding buffering for back to back photos taken. Maybe this is a myth.

I am another M9 user who did not know these shutter modes existed. Since my M9's firmware was likely updated when I sent it in the camera last year, they are probably all there and available for me to use. I'll have to check them out.

Not sure why this topic suddenly resurrected, but since it has:

I use soft regularly. As jaapv says it makes the camera more of a hair trigger, like my M3. I rarely use AE, so the loss of that feature is not an issue for me.

Best,
-Tim

I sort of understand the need for the soft release but the discreet puzzles me. Basically it wants you to save half the shutter noise for later? So you shoot, hold the shutter down until such time that you feel it is "discreet" let the other half of the noise out? Baffling....

I sort of understand the need for the soft release but the discreet puzzles me. Basically it wants you to save half the shutter noise for later? So you shoot, hold the shutter down until such time that you feel it is "discreet" let the other half of the noise out? Baffling....

I was shooting my M9 in a Temple, and another time in a museum, I didn't want to make a lot of noise with the shutter, so using this mode gives you one soft click as long as you have your finger on the shutter. Then when you release it, it clicks the second time. Give you time to walk away.

Back