Mac and virus

I was concerned about the risk of viruses and my Mac computers until I read (this may or not be true) that the Mac OS itself constitutes the best defense against any virus out there. Other than that, I have been always very careful with updates and never go where my computer tells me there's danger. Only once, a long time ago, when I was viewing videos as part of a clickbait website, I fell for a phony plug-in update announcement from Adobe... only to realize it was a software that wrecked my browser's ability to watch videos. After that, I learned my lesson and I am very careful about what I download into my computers.

But I'll keep my finger crossed.

Unnecessary. A Mac is perfectly safe as long as you are not installing unknown software. My Mac is on 24 x 7 and is connected to the interwebs. 100% safe and I run no special software for any protection.

Yes likely unnecessary. But just for peace of mind if nothing else. And, these environmentally ultra aware times ... :)

It seems to me that people who have had Mac viruses or malware are the same people who complain that their bumper is scratched when they drive into things....

Another Mac user without problems here. You could never get me to use a Windows computer. Of course some day that may change. You never know.

When my Mac Air started acting up I took it in and they found 130 threats on it. Every one told me that I don't need anti-virus protection on a Mac computer. The guy at the store (Best Buy) told me that it's a myth to say you don't need protection. He said that a Mac is no different than any other computer. All computers are vulnerable.

Mike

I think the Genius Bar person was basically right, "No need for anti-virus."

A couple of additional points:
- Some of the stuff marketed as anti-virus is criminal ware, specifically MacKeeper. Very, very bad stuff.
- Various unhappy things can happen to your browser as a result of web page visits. Malwarebytes will help correct these things. (e.g. sites that change your default search engine to something you don't want. Adware.)
- Need different, higher quality advice if you have especially sensitive concerns (corporate merger lawyer, spy, agitator against a totalitarian regime.)

My net: I don't use those products. I check computer occasionally with Malwarebytes.

The Genius Bar Technician Is Right

The Genius Bar Technician Is Right

Yes.

Godfrey’s list is excellent as a reference to do list.

Yes, it is.

OS X is, in fact, significantly less vulnerable to malware. For instance there has never been a wide-spread ransomware attack (such as WannaCry) on OS X.

As others mentioned, web browser's are the most significant software-based vulnerability. Apps that are not vetted by the Apple OS X App Store or not downloaded from authentic third-party vendor sites are another source of concern. These are easy to avoid.

OS X users who follow common sense procedures (keep software up to date) are mostly vulnerable to malware that requires direct user action. These are standard phishing and email impersonation attacks.

Even unsophisticated phishing and email impersonation attacks can be avoided by using two OS X accounts. One account has administrative privileges. This account is only used for updating software and other rarely needed administrative tasks. A second account that limits OS X background/automated execution privileges is used for every day work. This user account can prevent most malware from loading and, or running.

You will read FUD [1] press reports from security software companies attempting to scare OS X users (particularly those who switch from Windows). Some of these reports may be technically accurate but none of them have ever been used in wide-spread attacks on the consumer OS X installations.

There are valid press reports of OS X vulnerabilities. In some cases Apple has been slow to fix these. None of these have been used in large scale attacks. They have been used (mostly by governments and other sophisticated agents) for very specific purposes.

1. Fear, Uncertainty, Death - i.e. propaganda

Back