Mamiya 7 build quality

..... I love the mamiya 6 as a camera, but not sold on the 6x6 format. I find it restrictive.

Why not just crop your 6x6 images to 5.14x6 which gives you the 6x7 aspect ratio or whatever you want. That saves buying a new camera and lenses. I once shot a lot of 6x6 but most often cropped to 8x10 aspect ratio. In fact, almost none of my Mamiya 7 photos end up as 6x7 aspect ratio but cropped / trimmed ever so slightly to 8x10 ratio to reuse existing mats.

Don't let arithmetic rule your artistic vision.

Oops, I remembered wrong. It is 65mm, not 60. So my comment above applies to the 65mm lens. I was thinking of my 60mm for the Hasselblad. Sorry. It's the 65mm that is more failure-prone than the others.

I use the 65mm, no issues. As mentioned abbove the way the hood fits om the lenses is rubbish. I too I have broken one, and the 43mm I purchased came with a repaired hood...

I too have had a Mamiya 7 for years with 3 lenses that get changed regularly. No problems at all and this has been a travel camera so not pampered.
On the use of plastics, you might know that Hoechst, the German chemical manufaturer, makes clutch plates for Mercedes from ABS plastic. It is very strong , chemical and heat resistant. Leica uses the same material for mechanical stages on microscopes.
There are plastics and plastics. Not all are equal and some get a bad rap.
Cheers
Philip

The right plastic makes all the difference (remember HP calculators from the 1970s?)

The Mamiya7 does feel a bit plasticky. Mine has worked flawlessly for years.

The last time I dropped an all metal camera, it was not a happy scene!

Had the Mamiya 7 for 4 months now, and use it 80% of the time. 43, 80. 150 and the very funky 210! Metering as they say above. Just test it out and you'll do fine. I do manual metering in the warm months and, in the cold months with gloves, let the camera choose, though I tend to overexpose by 1/2 stop anyway. And since I scan my negatives digitally, it can get fixed in post anyway.

I've had my 7II for 8 years. In that time it has travelled extensively and gone on innumerable hiking trips. I have never had any problems.

Owned a 7II briefly with no problem. Zero complaint on the plastic since it's a heavy camera with metal innards, typical for the '80s. Had a 6 for a few years, the winding mechanism broke twice, even with me intentionally being careful when winding film.

So really, that's the culprit. The Bronica RF645's stroke advance mechanism also tends to fail. The film advance knob on the Fuji GF670/Bessa III is a bit slower to operate but gives much peace in mind. I believe it's a conscious design choice based on lessons learnt from previous models.

Don't overthink this (easy to do when facing a big expense). The Mamiya 7 is a fantastic camera. And an incredible amount of fun. Every camera has strengths and weaknesses. You'll get used to the weaknesses, and really love the strengths. If you're okay spending the money, you will be happy with your decision.

I have the 43, 80, 150, and the very funky 210 (great price; couldn't resist).

... and the very funky 210 mm (great price; couldn't resist).
Same here. The Mamiya N 210 mm L lens is funky indeed—but for me, it turned out more useful than anticipated.

Regarding the Mamiya N 65 mm L being more failure-prone than the other Mamiya 7 lenses—I cannot acknowledge this notion. It's my most-used lens, I bought it used two-and-a-half years ago, and it hasn't failed on me yet. Also, I didn't read or hear any reports of particularly frequent failure from others (except from Rob-F above), and it is the most popular lens in the Mamiya 7 line-up for many users.

I concur with Bob , this endless crap about plastic build , they're built around
a metal frame and for the years I had mine worked flawlessly . And absolutely
nothing can make a better more detailed negative . They have become exceedingly expensive of late . Peter

Absolutely. Metal is used where it counts, and plastic is used to keep the weight of the system as low as is reasonable.

My Mamiya 7 II has given me over a decade of flawless service. And the lenses are, of course, stellar.

And absolutely nothing can make a better more detailed negative . They have become exceedingly expensive of late . Peter

It is shame. They're $3-4k nowadays, body only. But unlike the 6, it remains on Phase One/Mamiya's website...

In contrast to abundant Hasselblad 6x6 bodies, aren't many other modern 6x7 options so market forces dictate here. (Damn you, Cosina! Why'd you kill the 670?!?)

I had a Mamiya 6 for a time. I got out of a Paris taxi and it fell from my lap onto the pavement. The filter on the lens was smashed and the metal of the filter was so distorted I had to cut it off with a pair of pliers the hotel's concierge sourced. The camera and its function was unaffected.
Pete

I've had and regularly used my Mamiya 7II since late 2013 without any issues. I have taken it hiking, bouldering, etc. and it's never put a foot wrong.

Heard they aren't very well made. Can somebody, who has had one for a while, comment on this?

They're not well made.

I had one and the winder fell off. Then the shutter release jammed, and fell off. The lenses are really good, but they fall off. The back of the camera once had a light leak but new seals fixed that... until the door fell off. There is kind of a sticky stuff that forms on the grip after time, and that does not fall off.

Ok just kidding. :D If you can afford one it would be a good idea to talk to a repair person first to get a feel for common problems, part availability, CLA, etc. in addition to checking the forums. And then get one!

In the 6x7 rangefinder world, I believe the best value for one’s money is the Fuji GW670, GSW670 series. They are comparatively inexpensive, probably both due to production volume of the series and also because your choice is limited to a fixed lens - either 90mm or 65mm.

Some background and myth-busting info on the GW, GSW series (670, 680, 690) here: https://camerapedia.fandom.com/wiki/Fujica_GW690

For 6x7 in general, the workhorse is the extensive and modular RB67, RZ67 series (obviously not as convenient and light as a rangefinder).

... is the Fujica GW670, GSW670 series. [...] either 90 mm or 65 mm.
A Fujica GSW670 doesn't exist. Besides the GW690, GW680, and GW670 with their 90 mm lenses, there's the GSW690 and the GSW680, both with 65 mm lenses—but no GSW670, unfortunately.

IMHO, the M7 is well made but maybe not well finished. The rangefinder will go out of whack if mistreated, just like other RFs. I believe the Makina 67 was also made by Mamiya.

I bought one new in 2001 for, I believe, $1500. Adjusted for inflation that's about $2300 in today's money. It was worth it then, but I'd hesitate to pay today's prices considering repair and parts have become more difficult and expensive. I'll likely sell mine for parts when it finally bricks itself, hopefully that's not anytime soon.

Having said that, I've reliably used it on a monthly basis since. Great camera.

I bought my 7II new when Mamiya was producing them. I bought the 80 and later added the 150. Used it for commercial work and never a problem. I still have it and the lenses and all are working just like new.

Back