Microsoft Surface Pro OR Book for editing?

haring

Established
Local time
9:17 AM
Which one would you recommend for editing?

Microsoft Surface Pro OR Book????? ?I need a computer for Lightroom and Photoshop editing on the go....

Thanks!

out of curiosity I was looking into this briefly this afternoon.

It appears that from an ipad with the lightroom app you can get the fully featured version that syncs up with creative cloud.

I know that there are a lot of people here who refuse to buy into the creative cloud ecosystem but I have a subscription for my graphics and design work so it seems like it could be a viable option. Carrying my iPad mini in my bag with a card reader to transfer over DNGs for editing in lightroom, then transfering over the final edited files for download on my PC at home.

I just have to explore it a little more.

Microsoft Surface systems have the worst record of breaking of just about anything out there. Even the Chevy Vega had a better reputation back in the '70's.

MacBook or iPad Pro from refurbished sales at apple (great warranty from Apple here in the states) if cost is an issue.

At my last consulting gig we have two out to mobile users. Within two weeks each was broken. Replacements came back from the vendor (Verison) and within three weeks one was broken again. The other went out the next week. Previously they had iPads that worked fine for two years. Problem was they needed Windows apps.

B2 (;->

BTW, Apple just released a new lower cost iPad the other day. It works with the Apple Pencil. Might be a low cost place to start.

Both have great stylus support that Macs won't have at all. You would need separate Wacom or similar drawing pad.

I'd choose Surface Pro for traveling, it's also cheaper (and less powerful) than Book.

My concern would be color and gamma calibration.

But for quick work on the go any platform would be ok. Clients like to see immediate results. Some of my former clients were very fussy about color accuracy, but they still liked to see initial results on an iPad. They understood I would deliver the final images from a properly calibrated platform.

I've yet to see a laptop or tablet that has a suitable screen. The retina and similar glossy displays enhance color, brightness and contrast giving a false impression of the image being better than it is. For editing you want a screen that displays nearly of greatrer than 100% of your working gammut and doesn't enhance the image. You want to see what's actually there. Sadly I've not seen any of these displays that could be correctly profiled or calibrated.

Back