Mirrorless FF (or M Module), how much are you willing to pay?

Mirrorless FF (or M Module), how much are you willing to pay?

• FF? My APSC/m43 is perfectly fine

Votes: 21 13.4%
  • $0-500

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • $501-$1000

Votes: 18 11.5%
  • $1001-$1500

Votes: 31 19.7%
  • $1501-$2000

Votes: 42 26.8%
  • $2001-$2500

Votes: 32 20.4%
  • $2501-$3000

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • $3001-$3500

• $3501-$4000

• I would gladly sell my kidney and pay for any price

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
I was shooting GXR-M with 35/1.2 @1.4 yesterday, and as much as I love the combo, I really hope I can be shooting 50/1.4 on FF. So, how much are you willing to pay for a FF mirrorless. Let's assume it's a GXR M Module with mid-level sensor (<24MP), effective microlenses arrangement like the current M module.

I would gladly pay for $2000 for the M Module alone, and if there is an update in the body, additional for that too. How about you?

I hope that Ricoh and other maker can see this thread and be encouraged in that direction. :angel:

You point them to this thread yet, and point out there's a market evolving here? I'd be more than happy to test one and blare its fortes off the roofs to further the sales :D

Loving my GXR Monochrom:cool:

I don't have any Ricoh contact. Hope that their sales figure of A12 is encouraging enough that they are considering the FF option. But it is not hard to see that whenever there is a mirrorless FF rumor, be it mini-M or the FF NEX, people on various forums get excited.

I don't have any Ricoh contact. Hope that their sales figure of A12 is encouraging enough that they are considering the FF option. But it is not hard to see that whenever there is a mirrorless FF rumor, be it mini-M or the FF NEX, people on various forums get excited.
The ones who don't understand the technicalities get excited about the possibility of building one, and the ones who have some understanding of the technicalities then get excited -- actually, "exercised" would be a better word -- about how rapidly such people zoom into cloud-cuckoo land.

I love the idea of optimizing sensors for a wide variety of lenses that were never designed for digital. The best solutions are probably software based, but to take an extreme example, who is going to write the software to optimize my Thambar for my M9? They only ever made about 3000 Thambars and I'd be surprised if more than 100 of those see regular use today.

Cheers,

R.

The Sony A7 and A7r are starting to look promising as a full frame M-mount option if Ricoh doesn't come to the party. Anecdotal reports suggest that lenses from 28 upwards work fairly well, with 35 and up working with almost no vignetting or coloured edges. For lenses 28mm and wider, it seems that extreme retrofocus lens designs may suffer at bit. I love my GXR-M, and have been shooting more with it recently, but a full frame option with focus peaking and similar upgrades would only add to our choices.

The Sony A7 and A7r are starting to look promising as a full frame M-mount option if Ricoh doesn't come to the party. Anecdotal reports suggest that lenses from 28 upwards work fairly well, with 35 and up working with almost no vignetting or coloured edges. For lenses 28mm and wider, it seems that extreme retrofocus lens designs may suffer at bit. I love my GXR-M, and have been shooting more with it recently, but a full frame option with focus peaking and similar upgrades would only add to our choices.

I have the A7 now. After quick tests of all my M-mount lenses:

- Color Skopar 21, 28, Ultron 28/2, Nokton 50/1.5 LTM :: unacceptable
- Color Skopar 35, 50 :: satisfactory
- Nokton 40/1.4 MC, M-Rokkor 40/2, M-Rokkor 90/4, Hektor 135/4.5 :: good

On the other hand, all my Leica R lenses (24, 50/2, 50/1.4, 90/2, 135/2.8, 180/2.8) and Nikkor SLR lenses (50/1.2, 55/3.5, 85/1.8, 105/2.8) work very well with it. I have yet to see how the Nikkor 18 and Elmarit-R 19 mm lenses do, but I expect well.

From other tests done on various forums around the net, I'd say that the A7/A7r are excellent bodies for nearly all SLR lenses but only for a small percentage of RF mount lenses.

I consider the A7 a sort of "one-body-fits-all" SLR replacement.

G

I checked "$501-1000": Used Fuji X-E1 w/ new Metabones Speedbooster for Canon FD mount ($750 total). This has been by far my best experience shooting digital, with my extensive collection of Canon FD and M42 glass. Classics like the Pentax Takumar 50mm f1.4 and Canon FD 24mm f2 really shine on this body.

Back