Most popular filters for color photos?

wrs1145

A native Texan looking for the light.
Local time
2:23 AM
I've got several, assorted lens B/W filters for my Nikon F2AS and now want to buy some for color photos.
What would be the most commonly used?

Many thanks,
Bill

I've got several, assorted lens B/W filters for my Nikon F2AS and now want to buy some for color photos.
What would be the most commonly used?

Many thanks,
Bill
Bill,

A clear protection, a UV and a polarizer are the most common filters for color. If you need to change the white balance of a film there are many options, but I'd wait to see on them.

Bill

I agree with Bill. In addition, for color transparencies, I always carry, and often use, an 81B warming filter. It makes a huge difference at dusk, eliminating the strong bluish cast at that time of day, and does far more than a Skylight filter can.

I, too, use an 81B warming filter a lot. It's good for indoor photos by window light and also outdoors in the shade. Also, where I live, the lighting outdoors is often on the cool side, so I use it then, as well.

- Murray

I assume you shoot slide film. Outside of a UV or Skylight to protect your lens I wouldn’t waste my money on color filters. An 81A or 81B if you just want gadgets but you’ll find that you never use them and they’ll wind up in the junk drawer. They slightly warm the image but with the film today you don’t need them especially if you scan your film. If you shoot color neg they’re absolutely a waste of money because you introduce color corrections in scanning and post processing. And for that matter if you scan slides and print it’s a waste of time too because of doing corrections in the scan. When scanning you can as or remove warmth in the software. Most of us that have done photography for any period wind up with a box of gadgets we just couldn’t live without.

Edit: I agree on a good lens hood.

Neutral density filters perhaps. One obvious use is to let you use a wider opening for any given shutter speed and ISO.

Another specislized use is to stack several very dense neutral density filters to get multi-minute exposures of a scene, such as of a river or ocean shore, where water is blurred into a misty foglike appearance. Also to make moving cars and people disappear in city shots.

Back