My Leica M9 is back

Derek Leath

dl__images Instagram
Local time
3:43 AM
Hello all.

My Leica M9 came back yesterday from it's sensor replacement.
3 weeks total from the time I sent it to NJ.
I had great service and great communication from Leica NJ.
Can't wait to shoot with it this weekend.

Hello all.

Sounds like the new Leica record. On both. Turnaround and communications.

Hello all.

What great good luck! I hope our weather will permit some photos this weekend!

Sounds like the new Leica record. On both. Turnaround and communications.

Over the years I’ve dropped off more than a few items for CLA or repair when YYe and DAG couldn’t get it right. While it did take a while, they always got it right, communicated in a timely manner and were always courteous and professional. Had I had to deal with them only once, I could have attributed it to my good fortune. But for the 7 or 8 times I’ve needed their help, they’ve always done right by me, going so far as lending me an M9M when mine needed a sensor replacement.

Over the years I’ve dropped off more than a few items for CLA or repair when YYe and DAG couldn’t get it right. While it did take a while, they always got it right, communicated in a timely manner and were always courteous and professional. Had I had to deal with them only once, I could have attributed it to my good fortune. But for the 7 or 8 times I’ve needed their help, they’ve always done right by me, going so far as lending me an M9M when mine needed a sensor replacement.

Never had any experience like that, did not get a loaner when my 6 month old M-E failed.
Were you local to them?

The fragility and high price of early digital Leicas make them unsuitable tools for a poor devoted photographer. Asking what would be all in cost if/when sensor (or something else) fails has more to do with fear than photography. :D

I do not mind telling, I paid $1600 to keep this M9 in excellent condition for the next 10 years. And of course it's under warranty for the next year.

Although I've had to use their services only very infrequently, every time I have needed service Leica USA has been courteous and quick. I think the longest turnaround I've had was about five weeks, it's been under four weeks most times. (I think times == 4 in the past 26 years.)

I never expect a loaner—from anyone—unless a loaner is listed as part of the service contract or warranty statement.

G

I do not mind telling, I paid $1600 to keep this M9 in excellent condition for the next 10 years. And of course it's under warranty for the next year.

I applaud your optimism. When I paid $6k new for my M-E I expected it to last way more than 10 years. But I got 6 months out of it.
I’m sure they didn’t cut any costs elsewhere and it was only the sensor that was bad.

Back