Need Epson R-D1 and R-D1s serial numbers

CourierCam

Photojournalist/collector
Local time
2:00 PM
Hello all,

I'm trying to figure out how many R-D1 and R-D1s cameras were built so I'm trying to collect serial numbers and record them.
Just hoping you might assist me on this project. Mine is 001802. Need higher and lower numbers.
Wondering if they started at 1 or 100 or 1,000?
How many were built?
When they introduced the R-D1s did the serial numbers start over, continue or jump?
Who owns the camera built right before mine and right after?
Just trying to keep some records on this great camera that will likely go down in photographic history as a key collectible.
Please email me at [email protected] and I'll start the data base or send me a private message!

Thank you,

Jim Headley
Gering, Nebraska USA

The production run on th R-D1(s) was 10,000.

The R-D1 was the original version, and the R-D1s was an iteration/upgrade. The unsold R-D1's were re-badged as the R-D1s, and those R-D1's that were already sold were able to be upgraded to be an R-D1s via a firmware update.

Cool, This is fun. The highest serial number so far on a R-D1 is Johnmcd with 004540 and Burkey has 001803, the serial number right after mine. The earliest number so far is 001498 owned by John Kelly. Serial numbers jumped into the 10000 range for the R-D1s and I have two of them on the registary so far. Keep em coming and I'm recording them.
Thanks,

Jim Headley

RD-1s, #101376 - god, that took forever to find, though! I was combing through the EXIF of files, looking inside the battery compartment...

So is there any way to find it from an image file? In Photo Mechanic, the serial number field is blank it seems - only reason I ask is that the first one I actually laid hands on was at Arpi in Barcelona in June, but the plate on the bottom read 'pre-production sample' and they wouldn't sell it to me because it belonged to Epson. I have a couple of .jpg files from it, though - so we could find out the serial # of a pre-production model from those, possibly...
R!

Back