New B&W film comming Jan.09

"Both times they have demanded that I teach the course with the wet darkroom."

What use is a wet darkroom class to Graphic Design students? It is extremely unlikely they will ever encounter or use one in the future.

Graphic designers will never do photography of any kind themselves anyway, but the schools often make them take it. The students already know how to use Photoshop because it is used in their illustration and layout classes too, so they probably see photography as something fun and want film because it looks like more fun than digital.

This maybe the beginning of the confirmation that I was hoping for.

A confirmation on whether the "art" community/industry can sustain the production of film, the way it sustains painting supplies/equipment. If this trend continues, we as film users have a reason to rejoice, or at least a glimmer of hope.

I say Freestyle is one of the companies that is smart enough to realize the potential of this niche. One thing for sure, they are getting my money these days.

As an aside, for those (pro or not, "artist" or not) who are satisfied with digital only, the debate is long over, the dead horse has been beaten to dust. :)

...now. Before the ebay vultures drive the price up. I am currently using HP5+ that expired in 2003 with good results. The film has been kept cool since new. ISO 100 film would last even longer.

I don't understand your response, Wayne. It's true but has nothing to do with my posting. Perhaps I was too stingy with words... I tend to do that. My comment has nothing to do with how long film lasts. My comment was to provide counterpoint to the exhuberation that film production is on an upswing. I simply hypothesize, based on no data at all, that perhaps the film manufacturers are not trying to keep their production lines running but, rather, are just cleaning out the warehouses. Without additional information to make me believe that they are continuing (or increasing) film production I remain slightly pessimistic. If someone could produce evidence of new patents, or increased hiring at the film production plants... then I'd change my tune.

Like you, I continue to shoot older film too... some of which has even been stored in rather dubious environments!

ok, MY REPLY WAS STINGY TOO. What I meant was that anyone who thinks film production may be ending soon should load up their freezers at $2/roll. If/When Father Kodak and Fujisan make the dreaded announcement, folks will start hoarding & the prices will skyrocket. Look at what happend to Polaroid Type 55 P/N film.

"Both times they have demanded that I teach the course with the wet darkroom."

What use is a wet darkroom class to Graphic Design students? It is extremely unlikely they will ever encounter or use one in the future.

BECAUSE IT TEACHES SOME FUNDAMENTALS ABOUT HOW THINGS WORK

Back