new inkjet printer

shaaktiman:

Re: your aging Epson 820. I've got one also and am getting ready to retire it. Oddly, I found that if I didn't tell it to do black only, but rather just said "print" from a scan of an 8//X10 b&W print, or just told the Epson scanner to print it, I got a print that was virtually the same as the original.

But maybe you're talking film scans?

I got an HP 7960, primarily for BW printing. It works superbly, and it always works without any hassle. Epson makes great printers, but I don't have the patience to cope with them any more.

Anybody got an Epson R1800? Will do 13X44 prints, has 8 ultrachrome inks. I'm thinking about it. Also thinking about the Microtek Scanmaker 1700.

Any firsthand experience will be greatly appreciated.

Ted

tedwhite said:
Anybody got an Epson R1800? Will do 13X44 prints, has 8 ultrachrome inks. I'm thinking about it. Also thinking about the Microtek Scanmaker 1700.

Any firsthand experience will be greatly appreciated.

Ted

It's the same mechanism and inkset as the R800 (an Epson rep confirmed that for me earlier this week) but with a wider carriage -- so I assume everything said in previous posts that applies to the R800 in terms of quality would apply to the R1800 as well.

Gordon: Thanks. What a wonderful, comprehensive, and marvelously detailed review.

I think I want the R1800. What I liked the most about the printer was, according to the reviewer, the subtle shadings.

Now I hope someone on this forum has the microtek scanner and has a thought or two about it.

Regards,

Ted

Back