New(ish) Tarion (Think Tank Knockoff) Camera bag on Amazon

bluesun267

Well-known
Local time
6:58 AM
I had been wanting one of those lovely Think Tank Retrospective bags for awhile but just couldn't justify the cost ($150 and up) (Yeah, I know, that's not excessive for many of you, but I am poor and would rather spend $ on film).

I just found this on Amazon and ordered one for $38.95:

https://www.amazon.com/TARION-Photography-Shoulder-Repellent-Mirrorless/dp/B0784P3JQK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1528468168&sr=8-1&keywords=tarion+rs-01

Clearly it's an out and out knockoff, (right down to the color, material and pocket arrangement) of the Think Tank Retrospective (7?). I'll report back when I receive it--

There's been a bunch of Crumpler knock-offs before (when that one was hip). I had the knock-off and it was just as great. The Chinese factories usually make them all the same, just put a different logo on. Where it could differ is quality control if it's done by someone other than the manufacturer.

Received my Tarion RS-01 (Think Tank knockoff) bag from Amazon so far I am very happy for 39 bucks.

I believe it is closest (maybe exactly) in size to the Retrospective 7. It's made in China (as as the Think Tank, I believe).

As I said, all the pockets, every design detail is an exact replica. The only difference is there was no raincover (no big deal for me).

The cotton canvas material is extremely nice, light weight, soft and flexible. The quality control on the bag is of a high order. No stray strings, crooked stitching or jerky zippers.

The inside nylon lining is nice and supple though it is a lighter color (gray/white) compared to the darker grey of the Think Tank.

Where you 'get what you pay for' is in the strapping and velcro. Strap is not nearly as heavy-duty as Think Tank, not ridged either. Still a good thick/normal high quality strap. Strap pad is nice but only has mesh on the inner side, no rubber anti-slip.

Sound silencers are identical to the Think Tank and work very well. The interior lining (where the dividers attach) seems a little thin though. And the Velcro throughout just looks like a cheaper spec of velcro, the edges of the Velcro pieces are not finished as nicely. But this is purely visual, not functional.

Also, it only comes with 2 dividers as opposed multiple extras with Think Tank.

The padding seems very good, probably the same thickness as Think Tank, though I have only handled a genuine Think Tank in a store, so my experience is limited. The Tarion maintains its shape well at the same time as being flexible and form-fitting enough depending on how it's loaded with equipment.

It's a perfect size for my Rolleiflex SL66 with extra back, hood, filter, and a bunch of film with room to spare (definitely could add another lens if I had one!) The thing I like is it is deep enough to store the SL66 vertically/upright with hood still attached so it's easier to pull out and be ready to shoot.

Let us know if you're still happy after a couple of years of use.

I would certainly do that, but could you be so kind as to message me on June 10, 2020 as I'll probably forget by then (that's slightly tongue-in-cheek btw).

Reading between the lines, I get your drift: The Think Tank people designed this great bag and now some no-name is copying it for 1/5th the cost. Maybe it will fall apart in a year. But since Think Tank bags are outsourced to China anyway, the fact that the owners of Think Tank are American leaves me with only a teeny, tiny bit of empathy--not enough to want to shell out an extra $130 for their enrichment. I'd be shocked if the actual manufacturing cost of a real think tank bag is more than what I paid for the knockoff (I'd bet its significantly less).

Buying a Chinese knockoff that is 90% of a Chinese-made "brand" at 1/5th the price is for me a sensible option. The initial cost spread over the life of the product would still be a deal, even if it only lasted half as long.

On the other hand, if it were a Domke knockoff (at least one of their products still made in the US), I would not write such a review because I'm in effect promoting it. (I tried to find a US made Domke that would serve my need, but it doesn't exist--and I have owned several Domkes in the past). I love Chinese products, but I do see a problem with everything being made in China. This so-called global market is exploitative, built almost entirely on the unbounded greed of American companies who don't wish to pay a living wage to their employees. Unfortunately to the point where we have almost no choice in the matter.

I haven't reconciled the contradictions in my reasoning either. But thinking about it is a start.

I realize it's not $38, but if you aren't real picky about the color of your bag, you can get a real Think Tank Retrospective 7 for $113 at B&H Photo. Of course you can get different colors, and some with leather, for as much as $229. But the "cheapie" $113 does everything that the more expensive ones do, and if it's anything like my other Think Tank gear, it will probably outlast me.

Think Tank Retrospective 7

Best,
-Tim

I realize it's not $38, but if you aren't real picky about the color of your bag, you can get a real Think Tank Retrospective 7 for $113 at B&H Photo. Of course you can get different colors, and some with leather, for as much as $229. But the "cheapie" $113 does everything that the more expensive ones do, and if it's anything like my other Think Tank gear, it will probably outlast me.

Think Tank Retrospective 7

Best,
-Tim

I know the Think Tank bags are great, and saw that cheaper one on BH. I guess I would have gone that route if I hadn't seen this one. But my initial impression of the Tarion, if it's not a 'lifetime' bag, it's darn close, and will probably outlast my interest in/need for it. But time will tell.

I've been moving countries for the past 29 years and I've learned, the hard way, that the knock-off stuff doesn't last.

I used to work on a hardware retail company. Sometime ago, our company buyers went to China looking for cheap tools and hardware. First the went for some of the cheapest stuff they found, and yeah, things where crap. Second time, they went for a higher grade stuff, still Chinese knock off, and stuff was great. I guess what I mean is that it depends how cheap you want to go.

I think I get your message and I agree. There is no free lunches. You get what you pay for. But sometimes you do can get a relative bargain time and again right?

Regards

Marcelo

I know this is a very late reply, but I think the question is relevant:

If both the Think Tank bag and the Tarion bag are identical (apart from the rain cover), and both are made in China, could they have been made by the same company and thus the Tarion is not quite the knockoff it appears to be?

Back